Williamson's Arkansas Infantry Battalion
|Williamson's Arkansas Infantry Battalion|
|Country||Confederate States of America|
|Allegiance||Confederate States Army|
Williamson's Arkansas Infantry Battalion was an infantry battalion of the Confederate States Army during the American Civil War.
The battalion was organized in March 1862 by Colonel John L. Williamson, apparently immediately following the final muster of the 15th Arkansas Militia Regiment. Williamson had also commanded the 15th Arkansas Militia Regiment from Pope County. Three companies for this battalion were recruited from Pope County, including several former 15th Militia Regiment members. It was apparently intended to be recruited to a full regiment, but was still recruiting and organizing when it was swept up by General Earl Van Dorn when he transferred his army to Mississippi following the Battle of Pea Ridge. The battalion was formally organized at Camp Churchill Clark, near Corinth, Mississippi, on May 8, 1862. However, it was decided to disband the battalion instead, so the election of officers was invalidated and the battalion formally broken up on May 25, 1862. The battalion was composed of companies from the following counties:
- Company A—Franklin County (enlisted at Ozark, Arkansas, February 8, 1862)
- Company B—Franklin County (enlisted at Ozark, Arkansas, February 15, 1862)
- Company C—Pope County (enlisted in Pope County, Arkansas, February 15, 1862)
- Company D—Pope County (enlisted at Russellville, Arkansas, February 13, 1862)
- Company E—Pope County (enlisted at Dover, Arkansas, February 22, 1862)
- Company F—Yell County (enlisted at Bata's Mill, Arkansas, February 28, 1862)
- Company G—Yell County (enlisted at Dardanelle, Arkansas, February 28, 1862)
- Company H—Conway County (enlisted at Portland, Arkansas, March 1, 1862).
The component companies were distributed among other Arkansas battalions and regiments as follows:
- Companies A and B became Company 2nd I and K of the 21st (McCrae's) Arkansas Infantry Regiment
- Companies C and D became Companies G and F, of the 1st Brook's Arkansas Cavalry Battalion
- Companies E, F and H became Companies E, K and I of the 3rd Arkansas Cavalry Regiment
- Company G became Company K of the 31st Arkansas Infantry Regiment.
Other articles of the topic American Civil War : Sterling's Infantry Company, 2nd Arkansas 30 Day Volunteer Regiment, 14th Kansas Militia Infantry Regiment, 31st Kentucky Infantry Regiment, Zesch's Militia Battery Kansas Light Artillery, George Right Smith, Orlow Smith
Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".
- List of Arkansas Civil War Confederate units
- Arkansas in the American Civil War
- Arkansas Militia in the Civil War
- "15th Regiment Arkansas Militia, Pope County". Edward G. Gerdes Civil War Page. Retrieved 26 January 2010.
- Howerton, Bryan. "Williamson's Battalion". Arkansas in the Civil War Messageboard. Retrieved 26 January 2011.
- "WILLIAMSON'S ARKANSAS INFANTRY BATTALION". Edward G. Gerdes Civil War Page. Archived from the original on 2011-07-20. Retrieved 26 January 2011.
- Edward G. Gerdes Civil War Home Page
- The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History and Culture
- The War of the Rebellion: a Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies
- The Arkansas History Commission, State Archives, Civil War in Arkansas
- This article incorporates public domain material from the United States Government document "Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, National Park Service".
This article "Williamson's Arkansas Infantry Battalion" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Williamson's Arkansas Infantry Battalion. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.