|Edit this InfoBox|
Annika Connor (2017)
|Education||School of the Art Institute of Chicago|
Early life and education
Connor spent her early years in Atlanta, Georgia, where she was born, and Sweden. She stated that she has been drawing and painting since she was a child. In high school, Connor attended classes at the Atlanta College of Art. She studied at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago where she received a bachelor of fine arts (BFA) degree with a concentration in painting and philosophy in 2002. Connor moved to New York City after her graduation and lived in London, England, from 2003 to 2004, where she "spent years cultivating a reputation as a philanthropist, feminist, fashion icon and muse", along with becoming a painter who has had four solo gallery shows, as well as group exhibitions of her work.
Watercolor was her medium of choice for several years until she rediscovered her love of oil paint after spending time at the National Museum of Fine Arts in Stockholm. The interiors, landscapes, and figures that populate her work seek to capture beauty in all forms. Connor focuses on colors, details, and patterns when painting. Swedish fairy tales, dream imagery, and romantic settings like palaces inform the content of her paintings. Birds, reminiscent of the watercolors in John James Audobon's Birds of America are also a motif in Connor's paintings, ranging in size up to 4.5 by 6 ft (1.4 by 1.8 m).
- 2011 Tuxedo Park, Bungalow 5 furniture store, New York City
- 2013 The Hitchcock Kiss, QF Gallery, East Hampton, New York
- 2014 Dawn to Decadence, Able Fine Art NY Gallery, New York City
- 2015 Flora/Fauna, The Untitled Space, New York City
- Grumbacher Gold Medallion Painting Prize
- Sancken, Kristin (June 25, 2015), "Meet Annika Connor, the Art World's 'Socialite Realist'", Highbrow Magazine
- "Annika Connor: Contemporary Romantic Painter". The Art Career Project. Retrieved 4 March 2017.
- Harris, Malcolm. "Women in Art: 5 Rising Art Stars". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 3 May 2017.
- Ekstrand, Anna Mikaela. "Interview with Annika Connor: Painting for Protest and Acting for Activicism". Culturebytes. Retrieved 3 May 2017.
- Martinez, Jamie. "Interview and Studio Visit with Annika Connor". Arte Fuse. Retrieved 3 May 2017.
- "Tuxedo Park: A solo show of paintings by artist Annika Connor at Bungalow 5 in New York", conteart.com, November 14, 2011
- Zimmer, Lori. "June 2013: Annika Connor at QF Gallery". Whitehot Magazine. Retrieved 3 May 2017.
- Flora/Fauna; An Exhibition by Annika Connor; Curated by Indira Cesarine, Newy York, NY: The Untitled Space
- Ayala, Jesse (May 27, 2015), Date Night with Flora, Fauna and Annika? [includes video "A Portrait of a Romantic"]
This article "Annika Connor" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Annika Connor. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.