|Source model||Open source|
|Latest release||2.0 / 15 November 2009|
|Marketing target||Live-CD/Installation and aged systems|
|Kernel type||Monolithic (Linux)|
|Default user interface||JWM|
BioPuppy is a minimal Linux OS and electronic workbench. for bioinformatics and computational biology It has been designed to meet the needs of beginners, learners, students, staffs, and research scholars. BioPuppy is available as a live CD, an installation CD or in USB Pen drive, and contains all the required software to boot the computer with ready to use bioinformatics tools. BioPuppy is based on Puppy Linux. The other objective of BioPuppy is small in size and portability. The estimated size of BioPuppy is around 250MB.
BioPuppy Linux is derived from Puppy Linux. BioPuppy has all the features of Puppy Linux.
- User friendly for those new to Linux.
- Contains many necessary Bioinformatics tools (see the Biology tools included in BioPuppy).
- Available in both Live CD/USB and Install option.
- BioPuppy will boot from a minimum PC/Laptop with 586 MHz CPU and 32Mb RAM.
- Easy to install on hard drive, USB pen drive, or Compact Flash (CF) cards.
- Can save one's session while working as a Live CD/USB and restore it in the next boot.
- Very small in size (~200MB), but with many features.
- BioPuppy can run bioinformatics applications and programs and can store one's programs on the same CD-RW/Pen drive/Hard disk while one is working as a LiveCD.
- BioPuppy contains extensive help files for all its programs and bioinformatcis tools with screen shot.
- New versions can be easily updated.
- Bring all your programs, tools, movies, songs as well as your light weight BioPuppy Linux in a single USB Pen drive.
- BioPuppy Linux is a Free/Open Source software distribution for academic purpose
- Includes all the features of Puppy Linux
Graphical User Interface (GUI)
BioPuppy comes with a choice of two graphical servers as like Puppy Linux: X.org (full-featured) and Xvesa (lightweight). A wizard during the start-up process guides the user through setting up a graphical server appropriate for their video card and monitor. At the end of the wizard, the user will be presented with a desktop and window manager; the default WM in most Puppy releases is JWM. The 2.15 Community Edition provides the IceWM manager by default.
Package management and distribution management
BioPuppy Linux comes with a specific package manager called PetGet. An older package manager, DotPup, was used in previous versions of the system and is still compatible.
BioPuppy also comes with a remaster tool that takes a snapshot of the current system and creates a remastered live-CD from it.
For more about package management see the Puppy package management article.
Biology tools added in BioPuppy Linux
- Sequence Analysis Tools
- Tigr-Glimmer 2
- Clustal X/W
- Structure Prediction Tools
- Protein Structure Analysis Tools
- Phylogenetic Analysis tools
- Fast DNA
- Molecular Dynamics
- Protein Modeling
- MGL Tools
- Python Molecular Viewer (PMV)
- System Biology
- Copasi-Complex Pathway Simulator from Virginia Bioinformatics Institute
- On-line tools
- Puppy Linux
- Lightweight Linux distribution
3. Reviewed by international journal EMBnet, 
ar:بوبي لينكس da:Puppy Linux de:Puppy Linux es:Puppy Linux fr:Puppy Linux id:Puppy Linux ia:Puppy Linux it:Puppy Linux nl:Puppy Linux ja:Puppy Linux pl:Puppy Linux pt:Puppy Linux ro:Puppy Linux ru:Puppy Linux fi:Puppy Linux ta:பப்பி லினக்ஸ்
This article "BioPuppy" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.