Chris King (entrepreneur)
- For other people named Chris King, see Chris King.
Thomas Christopher King
October 18, 1978
Orlando, Florida, U.S.
|Republican (Before 2010)|
|Education||Harvard University (BA)|
University of Florida (JD)
Thomas Christopher King (born October 18, 1978) is an American entrepreneur and politician. He officially entered the Florida gubernatorial election in 2018 before becoming Andrew Gillum's running mate. He also founded the Elevation Financial Group and is a board member of Grace Medical Home.
Chris King was born to David and Marilyn King. His father was a lawyer for the Fair Districts movement, which worked to combat partisan gerrymandering in Florida by proving that the Constitution of Florida was violated by the Florida Legislature when it redrew congressional and Florida Senate district lines. Chris' mother, Marilyn King, served 27 years as a board member, including two terms as chair, of Orlando's premier health organization, Orlando Health. Marilyn was also the founding Chair of Grace Medical Home, a not-for-profit medical facility that serves those without affordable health care. Chris served on both the Board of Grace Medical Home and on the Foundation Board of Orlando Health.
King graduated from Harvard University with a degree in Religion, Politics and American Public Policy. King, an evangelical Christian, narrowly lost a race for president of Harvard’s undergraduate council in 1999 after the Harvard Crimson declined to endorse him, noting that his ticket’s “ties to religious groups have raised concerns among students.” “I was nailed to the cross,” King told the Newhouse News Service after the election. “And most of the editorial staff that was so hard on me, the vast majority were Jewish.”  He then received his Juris Doctor from the University of Florida Law School. He is currently a board member of the non-profit Grace Medical Home which provides medical care to uninsured Floridians. He is also the founder and chairman of The Elevation Foundation.
King founded the Elevation Scholars Program which works with the University of Central Florida and Orange County Public Schools to provide merit scholarships to students from Title I schools. King also developed the Elevation Global Initiative, which works on tree reforestation, fish farming and entrepreneurship training in Haiti and areas of Africa.
He founded Elevation Financial Group, LLC which specializes in real estate investment, property management and property renovation. The group launched six private equity funds. Currently, Elevation owns and operate assets in five states in the US.
In 2004, King was defeated for selection as the Republican candidate for a seat in the Florida House of Representatives by Michael J. Grant.
In 2018, having converted to the Democratic Party, King ran and was defeated as a candidate for Governor of Florida in the Democratic primary. He ran against former U.S. Representative Gwen Graham (daughter of Governor Bob Graham), Philip Levine, former Mayor of Miami Beach, Andrew Gillum, Mayor of Tallahassee and billionaire real estate developer Jeff Greene. King was the first gubernatorial candidate to promise to refuse to accept campaign contributions from the Florida sugar industry. King's polling average was about 4.5%. Following his election defeat, King congratulated and endorsed Andrew Gillum for governor. On September 6, 2018, Andrew Gillum announced Chris King as his selection for Lieutenant Governor.
- "Vol 1 Issue 3" (PDF). www.chrisdarbyministries.org.
- Press, BRENDAN FARRINGTON, Associated. "Florida governor's race: Dem. Andrew Gillum chooses Chris King as running mate, GOP's Ron DeSantis picks Jeanette Nunez".
- Group, Elevation Financial. "T. Christopher King, Esq. - Elevation Financial Group". Retrieved August 10, 2017.
- "On the road with Chris King, Democratic candidate for governor". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved August 10, 2017.
- "Here's what Chris King wants to do as governor". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved August 10, 2017.
- "Our Campaigns - Candidate - Christopher King". www.ourcampaigns.com.
- Mueller, Paul (May 21, 2017). "Democrat Chris King discusses run for Florida governor". Retrieved August 10, 2017.
- [dead link]
- "Chris King says uncontested Republican rule has failed Florida's working families - Florida Politics". floridapolitics.com. Retrieved August 10, 2017.
- "First Chris King campaign video mocks Rick Scott's jobs record - Florida Politics". floridapolitics.com. Retrieved August 10, 2017.
- "Twitter welcomes Democratic gubernatorial candidate Chris King - Florida Politics". floridapolitics.com. Retrieved August 10, 2017.
- [dead link]
|Party political offices|
| Democratic nominee for Lieutenant Governor of Florida
This article "Chris King (entrepreneur)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Chris King (entrepreneur). Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.