|Released||2 November 2016|
|Studio||Forest of Chaos|
|Label||Mint 400 Records|
|The Clydes chronology|
Comeback Charlie is the third studio EP from the American rock band the Clydes.
The five-track EP was released by Mint 400 Records on, 2 November 2016. It was produced, mixed and mastered by Neil Sabatino at the Forest of Chaos, and is the first release by the Clydes on Mint 400 Records. The style of Comeback Charlie is described as alternative rock, and it draws comparison to the music of the alternative rock band Sloan, the jangle rock band Teenage Fanclub, the post-punk band Viet Cong, and the indie folk band Okkervil River. The track "Or Not" was released as a single, on 9 August 2016. The music video was directed by Sabatino, and contains footage of the band performing live.
Joe Wawryzniak of Jersey Beat says the Clydes "return with five songs worth of right-on groovy and melodic fun [and] the arrangements lay down a pleasantly tuneful sound complete with gnarly diggin' guitar riffs, smooth basslines, and sturdy drums," adding "the vocals are quite robust and passionate while the songwriting remains concise and reflective throughout." Speak Into My Good Eye editor Mike Mehalick calls "Or Not" "another alt-rock gem [with] keen pop sense in songwriting structures bolstered by more fully realized production."
In the Courier News, music journalist Bob Makin compares Comeback Charlie to the Zombies, Big Star, and Squeeze and calls the record "five nuggets of '60s-inspired indie pop and garage rock [with] elements of each of those acts." He also notes the "bright, jangly staccato fun" of the song "In the Stars."
All tracks written by Brent Johnson and Brian Johnson, except track 4 by Brent Johnson, Brian Johnson, Andrew Lord Chandler and Jon Barratt.
|2.||"In the Stars"||3:48|
- Jon Barratt – drums, percussion and backing vocals
- Andrew Lord Chandler – bass guitar
- Brian Johnson – lead guitar and e-bow
- Brent Johnson – lead and backing vocals, rhythm guitar and Hohner pianet
- Neil Sabatino – additional keyboards
- Makin, Bob (4 September 2016), "Makin Waves with The North Jersey Indie Rock Festival", Courier News, retrieved 21 February 2019
- Mehalick, Mike (9 August 2016), "Exclusive Premiere: The Clydes Unveil "Or Not" // New EP Out 9/6 via Mint 400", Speak Into My Good Eye, retrieved 21 February 2019
- Pirate! Staff (2016), "The Clydes - Comeback Charlie", Pirate!, retrieved February 21, 2019
- Shrum, Tony (16 October 2017), "Song Premiere: The Clydes – "The Vampire Of Hanover"", New Noise, retrieved 28 February 2019
- Wawryzniak, Joe (2016), "The Clydes - Comeback Charlie", Jersey Beat, retrieved 21 February 2019