|Birth name||Justin Taylor Phillips|
|Also known as||Crywolf|
|Born||8 October 1990|
Raleigh, North Carolina
|Genres||indietronica, indie folk, alternative rock, indie pop, electronic, dubstep, ambient music|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, songwriter, producer|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, keyboards, electronic drums|
|Labels||Okami Records, Always Never Records|
|Associated acts||Ianborg, EDEN|
Justin Taylor Phillips (born October 8, 1990), known professionally as Crywolf, is an American singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist and record producer based in Los Angeles, CA. He started his career in 2012, during the onset of the American dubstep music scene. Phillips' early work featured more traditional elements of electronic dance music, while his more recent work has favored a more eclectic style of electronic music.
His debut full-length album Cataclasm placed in Billboard's Top 10 electronic chart. Crywolf's music is unique because of his inclusion of atmospheric elements, emotional lyrics, epic and melodic instrumentation, haunting falsetto vocals, and experimental elements.
Life and career
Justin Taylor Phillips was born on October 8, 1990 in Raleigh, North Carolina. Phillips lived for eight years in Hong Kong, China. Subsequently, he moved back to North Carolina and was homeschooled until his senior year of high school.
2012–2015: Early Career
Phillips started out practicing music as a hobby, producing and posting dubstep music on SoundCloud under the name Crywolf. His first two EPs, Ghosts EP and Angels EP contained more conventional elements of electronic music. In 2015, Crywolf released his joint EP Runaways with Canadian recording artist Ianborg, in which Crywolf's characteristic sound would start to be developed.
2015–2016: Dysphoria and Cataclasm
In June 2015, Crywolf released Dysphoria, a 10-track release with more atmospheric influence and a collaboration with Irish recording artist EDEN.
His debut full-length album, Cataclasm was recorded in Iceland, which inspired Crywolf to incorporate the sounds around him and create an atmospheric sound. Cataclasm was released in November 2015, to outstanding critical acclaim. In August 2016, Crywolf released his debut music video for his song "Anachronism".
2016–present: Skeletons, Valdivia equipment robbery, and upcoming studio album
In March 2017, Crywolf released Skeletons, an EP release that explored a darker and more experimental sound. The release was accompanied by three singles: "Quantum Immortality", "Windswept", and "Weight".
While working on his second full-length album in Valdivia, Chile, Phillips and his team were victim of a car robbery in which various pieces of equipment, including his laptop and backup hard drives were stolen. Almost $10,000 worth of stuff as well as all new material for the album and the project files for Skeletons. Phillips and an undercover police officer attempted to track down the items, but only a drone, some hard drives, and camera lenses were recovered successfully. After being unable to recover his laptop, Crywolf borrowed an old computer from a local musician and went into the rainforest for five days to record new music.
In June 2018, Crywolf started posting cryptic messages on social media featuring strikethrough text and black-and-white images. In July 13, 2018, Crywolf released a new single, titled "Quixote (I am alone, and they are everyone)", which was recorded by Crywolf in the rainforest after being unable to recover his Macbook. "Quixote" has been described as having a serene yet dark sound which has been likened to indie-electronic producers such as James Blake and Bon Iver.
|Runaways (with Ianborg)||
|Acoustic EP, Vol. 1||
Singles & Remixes
- Silence, Pt. II (2013)
- Oceans (2013)
- Control Myself (2015)
- Oceans Pt. II (SLDGHMR Remix) (2015)
- Tides (2015)
- Never Be Like You [Flume Cover] (2016)
- St. Patrick (2016)
- Quantum Immortality (2016)
- Windswept (2016)
- Weight (2017)
- Silk (Midoca Remix) (2017)
- Quantum Immortality (Ferry Corsten Remix) (2017)
- Silk (Daktyl Remix) (2017)
- Quantum Immortality (AWAY Remix) (2017)
- Quixote (i am alone, and they are everyone) (2018)
- Red Light Management. "Crywolf - Artist Bio", Red Light Management
- Taylor Phillips, Justin. "Crywolf AMA on Reddit"
- "Crywolf artist profile - All Music"
- Crywolf - Stomach It [feat. EDEN
- Bein, Kat. Crywolf Debuts His Debut Album 'Cataclasm': Exclusive Premiere. |Billboard
- Nuanual, Bo. Crywolf unveils emotionally charged debut music video 'Anachronism' . The Untz
- Taylor Phillips, Justin. Crywolf describes Valdivian equipment robbery
- Piedrahita, Stephanie. Exclusive Interview with Crywolf — Electric Forest 2017. Raver Magazine
- Crywolf - QUIXØTE (i am alone, and they are everyone)
- QUIXØTE (i am alone, and they are everyone) on Facebook
- Zucker, Noah. Crywolf’s ‘Quixote’ Is an Eclectic, Untethered Electronic Composition. Rock the Pigeon
This article "Crywolf (musician)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Crywolf (musician). Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.