|Edit this InfoBox|
|Born||1996 (age 23–24) |
|Occupation||Grey hat hacktivist|
|Known for||Avenging the MH17 plane crash by hacking into Russian databases|
Cyber Anakin is the pseudonym for an unidentified hacktivist who is a teenager as of 2016, and has breached databases of several Russian websites to avenge the 2014 shootdown of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17.
In early February 2016 he claimed responsibility for hacking several Russian databases, including that of Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology on a Reddit post.Later on he purportedly leaked the databases of a Russian government's website onto Pastebin.
On March 2016, he breached the databases of Russian email and news portal KM.ru and Russian game company Nival Networks, which are confirmed as legitimate by computer security researcher Troy Hunt. In a subsequent interview with online news outlet Vice Media Motherboard, he said that he had done the hacks to avenge against the Russians for causing the MH17 crash, and taunted them for being able to defend against Nazi dictator Hitler but not against hackers.
He detailed his frustration on Reddit regarding "the fact that the Russians started the Space age years ago by Sputnik and Vostok missions" and opined that the Russians are "a race that loves lying and deception" and consequently don't deserve the achievements brought on by the aforementioned two space missions, which are conducted by the Soviet Union, the predecessor state of the current Russian Federation, during the 1950s and 1960s. According to him, he desires to travel back in time and "undo those achievements" if the time travel technology is available.
Following the assassination of Kim Jong-nam he took advantage of an error on a North Korean propaganda website which erroneously linked to a non-existent Twitter account. He registered a spoof account under that empty username and posted numerous anti-regime propagandas.
He also accessed several exposed television set-top boxes in protest of controversial Article 13 of the Directive on Copyright in the Digital Single Market which would, according to its detractors, threaten the freedom of expression on the Internet.
- Archived Twitter profile which showed his birth year
- "The RSA takeaway". Politico. 2016-03-07. Retrieved 2017-02-22.
- "Security News This Week: WhatsApp Is Caught in Its Own Crypto War in Brazil". Wired. 2016-03-05. Retrieved 2017-02-22.
- "Teen 'Cyber Anakin' hacker wants revenge on Russia after the MH17 crash". news.com.au. 2016-03-05. Retrieved 2017-02-22.
- "(Archived) Claim of responsiblity(sic) of some recent Russian database breaches by cyberanakinvader". Reddit. Cyber Anakin. 2016-02-01. Retrieved 2017-02-22.
- "Leaked user data of a Russian government website". Reddit. Cyber Anakin. 2016-02-16. Retrieved 2017-02-22.
- "A Teen Hacker Is Targeting Russian Sites as Revenge for the MH17 Crash". VICE Motherboard. 2016-03-05. Retrieved 2017-02-22.
- "Operation Wrath of Anakin: Evolved". Reddit. Cyber Anakin. 2016-02-27. Retrieved 2017-02-22.
- "Statement by Cyber Anakin regarding the Olympic Truce 2016". Reddit. Cyber Anakin. 2016-06-21. Retrieved 2017-02-22.