Dentist at the 2018 North Jersey Indie Rock Festival.
|Origin||Asbury Park, New Jersey, U.S.|
|Genres||Surf rock, pop punk, alternative rock|
|Labels||Good Eye Records, Little Dickman Records, Cleopatra Records|
Dentist is an American rock band from New Jersey.
Dentist is a alternative surf rock trio from Asbury Park, New Jersey, that formed in 2013. The band is composed of vocalist and bassist Emily Bornemann, guitarist Justin Bornemann, and drummer Matt Hockenjos. E. Bornemann and J. Bornemann previously played together in the Asbury Park indie rock group, No Wine for Kittens. Their music is described as the "combine[d] freedom of the beach atmosphere and the urgency of the city into a fuzzed out, surf punk-tinged brand of indie pop with hooks and infectious melodies," they draw comparison to the music of Best Coast, Wavves and the Drums.
Their first single "No Matter" was released on 4 December 2013, and the second single "I Do it Cause I Wanna" on 26 February 2014. Both appear on their debut thirteen-track album, Dentist, released with Good Eye Records on 14 May 2014. The record is a collection of songs Dentist played live during their first year as a group. Pandora Radio compares Dentist to the music of the Ramones and Mazzy Star, and call it "California styled, indie-pop jangle and sun-dappled, garage-rock crunch." They received the 2014 Asbury Park Music Awards' Top Indie/Alt Rock Band award. Dentist's second album was the ten-track Ceilings, which was released on 12"-vinyl and digital download with Little Dickman Records, on 24 June 2016. It is described as surf rock, pop punk and dream pop, and a review by The Deli describes it as "a consistent and cohesive piece of work, with songs that blend into one another."
They performed at the North Jersey Indie Rock Festival on 23 September 2017, and at the 2018 South by Southwest festival. SXSW listed Dentist in their Top 10 bands, and call their music a "breezy joy of a summer at the beach." Cleopatra Records released the eleven-track album Night Swimming on 12"-vinyl, compact disc and digital download on 20 July 2018. Institute for Nonprofit News note that Dentist's "signature fuzz tones and a poppy undertow remain intact among a cryptically detailed loss of innocence that makes [it their] best record to date." Dentist performed at the North Jersey Indie Rock Festival on 6 October 2018.
- Emily Bornemann – vocals and bass
- Justin Bornemann – guitar
- Matt Hockenjos – drums
- Andy Bova – drums
- Nick Kaelblein – bass
- Matt Maneri – keys
- "No Matter" (2013)
- "I Do It Cause I Wanna" (2014)
- Curry, Laura (19 June 2017), "Happy Mondays with Dentist", The Pop Break, retrieved 24 March 2019
- Honan, John (20 July 2016), "NJ's Dentist releases debut LP 'Ceilings' on the 24th + plays Berling on the 25th", The Deli, retrieved 24 March 2019
- Makin, Bob (30 November 2016), "An Interview With Dentist: Dentist Bring A Smile To Asbury Park", The Aquarian Weekly, retrieved 24 March 2019
- Makin, Bob (23 November 2018), "Makin Waves Record of the Week: Dentist's 'Night Swimming'", Institute for Nonprofit News, retrieved 24 March 2019
- Mayer, Mike (20 March 2018), "SXSW's Top 10 bands: Dentist", The Mercury News, retrieved 24 March 2019
- New Noise Staff (1 February 2018), "Video Premiere: Dentist – "The Latter"", New Noise, retrieved 24 March 2019
- Pandora Radio Staff (1 May 2015), "Resonance: Weekly Curator Picks", Pandora Radio, retrieved 24 March 2019
- Pfeiffer, John (30 April 2014), "Shoreworld: Exploring The Topical World Of Dinosaurs And Four Dollar Stolis With Dentist", The Aquarian Weekly, retrieved 24 March 2019