|Subsidiaries||Dot TK, Dot ML|
Freenom is part of the OpenTLD B.V. group that is globally active in the field of registering country code top-level domains (ccTLD), and through its subsidiarys Dot TK and Dot ML, the company provides domain registration, domain monetization and support services.
Freenom is launched by the founder and current CEO Joost Zuurbier in December 2012.
History[edit | edit source]
In 2001, Zuurbier proposed the .tk project to the elders of the Tokelau Islands, who, considering the advantage of getting their first ICT structure and an innovative open ccTLD on the Internet, welcomed the proposal.
But only in 2006, after five years from the proposal, ICANN became convinced of the merits of the project, supporting the already favorable position of the elders of the islands. In fact, ICANN initially was skeptical about the legitimacy of the deal and wanted to deepen it, also by meeting the inhabitants, to ensure they were not deceived about their rights as ccTLD. ICANN was very determined to require servers and other infrastructures to be hosted exclusively in Tokelau. They later gave up when they realized how difficult it would be to install servers in the islands and allowed them to install the servers in Amsterdam, at Freenom's headquarters.
In September 2007, Dot TK signed a permanent agreement with Tokelau which annually increases more than 10% of the island's GDP. Then they decided to remove advertisements from all .tk domains, making them free.
They launched in 2011 one of the first DNS AnyCast cloud structures in the world.
In November 2016 they launched Freenom World, an anonymous and open DNS resolver.
Products[edit | edit source]
Freenom products are:
- Registering of Internet Top-level domains
- DNS resolution service
- Monetization of domains
- Support and consultation services
See also[edit | edit source]
Others articles of the Topics Companies AND Internet : Bharat News, Facebook, ShopX, Nandani Creation Limited, Kissht, WittyFeed, BearQuick
Others articles of the Topic Companies : Draft:AQA Holding, Foyr.com, Buywebhosting.net, Digital Surge, Student Loan Hero, INCANTO, List of companies of the United States
Others articles of the Topic Internet : Wiki, Curejoy, Peer-to-peer, Experts-Exchange, E-Dostluk, Salvatore Aranzulla, Slate Star Codex
References[edit | edit source]
- "Freenom – ICANNWiki". icannwiki.org. Retrieved 2017-08-02.
- Curtis, Sophie (11 March 2016). "If domain names ruled the world, America wouldn't be a superpower". mirror. Retrieved 2017-08-02.
- Whittle, Sally (25 October 2007). "Putting an island in touch with the world". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2017-08-02.
- "BBC NEWS | Technology | Net gains for tiny Pacific nation". news.bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-08-02.
- "Freenom Closes $3M in Series A Funding". VentureBeat. 16 December 2013. Retrieved 2017-08-02.
- Freenom. "Freenom Relaunches The National Top Level Domain of Equatorial Guinea". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2017-08-02.
[edit | edit source]
This article "Freenom" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Freenom. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.