|First appearance||Eldritch Wizardry supplement (1976)|
A hezrou is a humanoid demon in the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy role-playing game.
The hezrou was one of the earliest creatures introduced in the D&D game.
Dungeons & Dragons (1974–1976)
The type II demon appeared under the demon entry in the Eldritch Wizardry supplement (1976).
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st edition (1977–1988)
The type II demon (hezrou) appears in the first edition Monster Manual (1977).
Dungeons & Dragons (1977–1999)
This edition of the D&D game included its own version of the type II demon, which is known as the croaking demon, first appearing in the Immortal Rules set, in the DM's Guide to Immortals (1986). The croaking lesser fiend appeared in the Wrath of the Immortals set, in "Book One: Codex of the Immortals" (1992).
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd edition (1989–1999)
In this edition, demons became known as tanar'ri, and this creature officially became known as the hezrou, a "true tanar'ri", appearing first in the Monstrous Compendium Volume Outer Planes Appendix (1991), and then reprinted in the Monstrous Manual (1993).
The hezrou true tanar'ri also appeared for the Planescape campaign setting in the first Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix (1994).
Dungeons & Dragons 3.0 edition (2000–2002)
The hezrou (tanar'ri) appears in the Monster Manual for this edition (2000); in this edition, the name demon is resumed, and tanar'ri are now considered a sub-type of demon.
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 edition (2003–2007)
The hezrou appears in the revised Monster Manual for this edition (2003).
Dungeons & Dragons 4th edition (2008–2014)
The hezrou appears in the Monster Manual for this edition (2008), again under the demon entry.
Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition (2014–present)
The hezrou appears in the fifth edition Monster Manual (2014), under the demons entry.
A hezrou has a toad-like face, black skin, and metallic wire-like appendages protruding from its skin which make it look almost mechanical.
- The hezrou appears in the D&D Miniatures: Angelfire set #55 (2005) and Legendary Evils #25 (2009).
- The hezrou also appears in the game NetHack.
- Gygax, Gary; Blume, Brian (1976), Eldritch Wizardry (1 ed.), Lake Geneva, WI: TSR
- Gygax, Gary. Monster Manual (TSR, 1977)
- Mentzer, Frank. Dungeons & Dragons Set 5: Immortal Rules (TSR, 1986)
- Allston, Aaron. Wrath of the Immortals (TSR, 1992)
- LaFountain, J. Paul. Monstrous Compendium Outer Planes Appendix. (TSR, 1991)
- Stewart, Doug, ed. Monstrous Manual (TSR, 1993)
- Varney, Allen, ed. Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix (TSR, 1994)
- Cook, Monte, Jonathan Tweet, and Skip Williams. Monster Manual (Wizards of the Coast, 2000)
- Mearls, Mike, Stephen Schubert, and James Wyatt. Monster Manual (Wizards of the Coast, 2008)
- Mearls, Mike (2014). Monster manual. Wizards Of The Coast. ISBN 9780786965618. OCLC 965567329. Search this book on
|This Dungeons & Dragons article is a stub. You can help EverybodyWiki by expanding it.|
This article "Hezrou" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Hezrou. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.