Innocent in 2019
|Born||January 7, 1995|
Brooklyn, New York, U.S.
|🎓 Alma mater||Medgar Evers College|
Jason Innocent (French: [ʤeɪs(ə)nˈɪnəsənt], born January 7, 1995) is a New York-based conceptual public artist, author and documentary filmmaker. His works have earned the attention of the media and art critics, been presented in art exhibitions. Besides being known in the street art community, he also authored 39 Drawings, a book about sketches and word art.
Innocent was born and raised in Prospect Lefferts Gardens, Brooklyn, New York City, on January 7, 1995. His parents are of Haitian descent. Innocent attended Murry Bergtraum High School and later graduated from Medgar Evers College. Innocent became interested in art at an early age and was influenced by the works of William S. Burroughs, Jean-Michel Basquiat and Marcel Duchamp.
Having started in graffiti around 2010-2012, Innocent began spraying street graffiti writings on buildings in Lower Manhattan. His first notable solo exhibition, Wall 2016, took place in Brooklyn in 2016. Innocent authored his first artist book titled 39 Drawings in 2017. Bold Stripes, Bright Stars, and Social Issues, Innocent's second solo exhibition took place at 526 East 11th Street, New York with the focus on re-interpretation of the American flag. In March 2020, Innocent was included in a group show at Columbia University for Beyond the Bars: Freedom Plans with the main theme of discovering new strategies for challenging high incarceration rates in the United States. In May, he created Masculinity, a 2020 documentary exploring the topic of masculinity and its impact on women and society. In July, Innocent released his music video, Car play, a simple animation clip showing two men travelling by car one on them focus on the road and the other is smoking with his left hand while his right hand behind his back. In October, he released his latest video art Beauty in the Midst of Chaos inspired by Apex 2013 for the American video artist Arthur Jafa.
Notable works and exhibitions
- American Flag 2017 (poster, 2017)
- 39 Drawings, an art book (2017)
- Car play, an animation (2020)
- Masculinity (documentary, 2020)
- Egomaniac Trump poster (in collaboration with photographer Alex Wong) (2016)
- Bold Stripes, Bright Stars, and Social Issues (solo exhibition, October 2019, New York)
- Wall 2016 (The Living Gallery, Brooklyn, 2016)
- List of street artists
- Street artists
|Library resources about |
|By Jason Innocent|
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Jason Innocent|
- "Jason Innocent". Retrieved December 15, 2016.
- STAFF (2017-08-21). "Profile: Jason Innocent". Black Art Story. Retrieved 2017-08-23.
- "Jason Innocent examines ego through Donald Trump". Idol Magazine.
- "Jason Innocent". Elucid.
- "Fine Artist 'Jason Innocent' is pushing boundaries". GrittyVibes.
- "Artist Focus: Jason Innocent". Urbanista.
- Editors, Blackartstory org (May 19, 2020). "Masculinity in Crisis A review of Masculinity (2020): A Peculiar Film by Jason Innocent".
- "39 DRAWINGS | Kirkus Reviews" – via www.kirkusreviews.com.
- "Book Review: '39 Drawings' by Jason Innocent". Seattle PI.
- "THE UNORTHODOX RISE OF JASON INNOCENT, THE KING OF BROOKLYN ART SCENE". Swagger Magazine.
- "5 things you need to know about Jason Innocent". Vents Magazine.
- "Jason Innocent: A Black Artist Innovation and Experimentation". Los Angeles Tribune.
- "Artist Jason Innocent's new sole exhibition". www.rough-online.co.uk. October 22, 2019.
- "Beyond the Bars 10: Freedom Plans". March 5, 2020.
- ""Masculinity" The short documentary film". Urbanista Magazine. May 29, 2020.
- "Introducing Jason Innocent, the American Artist". www.rough-online.co.uk. September 28, 2018.
- "New York artist Jason Innocent shares animated visual for 'Car Play'". grungecake.com.
- "Jason Innocent Releases New Music Video for "Beauty in the Midst of Chaos"". Vents Magazine. 1 October 2020.
- Editors, Blackartstory org (October 12, 2017). "Black Artists Recreate the American Flag In Art".
- "Jason Innocent has released a cool new track called "Car Play". Reignland.
- "JASON INNOCENT'S "CAR PLAY" LOOPS A SIMPLE ANIMATION OVER A MELLOW LO-FI BEAT TO CREATE POIGNANT SOCIAL COMMENTARY". RMR.
- "Jason Innocent – Car Play". The Hype Magazine.
- "The Artists Taking their Anti-Trump Sentiments to the Streets". Sleek Magazine.
- "Jason Innocent Announces His Exclusive Solo Art Exhibition". Respect (magazine). 24 September 2019.
- "Jason Innocent: WALL 2016". Art in Brooklyn.
Others articles of the Topics Visual arts AND Arts : David Duchamp
Others articles of the Topic Visual arts : Janine Jansen Van Vuuren, Francesco Urbano Ragazzi, Nathan Greene, Patricia Ford Crass, Kunsthall Trondheim, Noor Al Suwaidi, Chto Delat? (art collective)
Others articles of the Topic Arts : David Duchamp, Andy Neal, Barbara Grobien, Michael Koelsch, The Tarlton Theatre, Rosana Elisabeth de Montfort, Daniel Pešta
Others articles of the Topic New York City : William Mackenzie Davidson, New York Air Route Traffic Control Center, Buck Sexton, American Broadcasting Company, Joe Cornelius Sr., New York City Police Department Housing Bureau, Lord & Taylor
This article "Jason Innocent" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Jason Innocent. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.