John P. Ilsley
John P. Ilsley
|Wyoming State District Judge, Fourth Judicial District|
|Appointed by||Jack R. Gage|
|Born||December 30, 1913|
|Died||October 30, 2000 (aged 86)|
John P. Ilsley (December 30, 1913 – October 30, 2000) was a Wyoming State District Judge in the Sixth Judicial District, which at the time consisted of Johnson and Sheridan Counties, Wyoming.
He was born on December 30, 1913, to Harry P. and Evelyn E. Ilsley in Sundance, Wyoming. He graduated from Sundance High School, the University of South Dakota in Vermillion, and the University of Wyoming College of Law. After law school, he worked for the Wyoming Taxpayers Association until he passed the Wyoming Bar exam in October 1939. On December 9, 1939, he married Helen O. Lewis in Kimball, Nebraska.
In 1941, he moved to Gillette, Wyoming. He practiced law there until July 1942, when he entered the Armed Services to serve in World War II. He was on active duty for four years, including one year in the European Theater assisting with the prosecution of War Crimes. After his service, he returned to private law practice in Gillette, where he also served as county attorney. From 1960-1961, he was President of the Wyoming State Bar Association. In November 1962, he moved to Sheridan, Wyoming when Governor Jack R. Gage appointed him to the Wyoming State District Court, Fourth Judicial District. He served as a judge until January 6, 1975, having failed to pass a "confidence" vote. In 1980 it was reported that Ilsley had been the only judge in the state to fail to pass such a vote since the process became part of Wyoming law in 1972. He died on October 30, 2000, at Sheridan County Memorial Hospital.
His father, Harry P. Ilsley, was a Wyoming State District Court Judge for the Sixth Judicial District from 1920 to 1952 and a Wyoming Supreme Court Justice from 1952 to 1953.
|| Wyoming State District Judge, Fourth Judicial District
- "District Court Locations – Wyoming Judicial Branch". www.courts.state.wy.us.
- "District Court, 4th Judicial District, Johnson County – Wyoming Judicial Branch". www.courts.state.wy.us.
- "District Court, 4th Judicial District, Sheridan County – Wyoming Judicial Branch". www.courts.state.wy.us.
- "The Sundance Times November 2 Page 2". sun.stparchive.com.
- "Helen L. Ilsley- 10/07/04". Gillette News Record.
- Wyoming Blue Book, 50th Legislature Centennial Edition, Vol. 4, 1991 at 145.
- "Judge to take oath of office", Casper Star-Tribune (January 21, 1975), p. 11.
- "Wyoming judges gain confidence", Casper Star-Tribune (November 6, 1980), p. C5.
- "John P. Ilsley", The Billings Gazette (November 1, 2000), p. 7C.
- Wyoming Blue Book, Vol. 3, 1974 at 34 & 44.
- This open draft remains in progress as of January 1, 2021.
This article "John P. Ilsley" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:John P. Ilsley. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.