Monica Sharma Purohit
|Monica Sharma Purohit|
|Born||14 February 1975|
|🏢 Organization||Anand Service Society|
Monica Sharma Purohit (born 14 February 1975 ) is an Indian social activist and a teacher. She is the voice of the deaf and mute. She with her husband, Gyanendra Purohit founded Anand Society Deaf Institute, in Indore, a school for the Deaf and Dumb and “Mukh Badhir Police Kendra”. a police station, dedicated to deaf and people with other disabilities with communication problem.
Anand Service Society
The inspiration to start the institute came from Gyanendra’ brother, Anand Purohit, who was deaf and dumb and doesn't know sign language, he mysteriously died in an accident. After the demise of Anand, Gyanendra who was pursing his CA at that time, left his studies and decided to devote his life for the welfare of the disabled. Later, Monica and Gyanendra established Indore's first of its kind a police station, dedicated to deaf and mute complaints, they named it “Mukh Badhir Police Kendra”. It was opened on 7 September 2002 at Police Station Tukoganj, Indore. After the opening of police station many victims got justice and culprits were sentenced by court with imprisonment. It created a great impact on the deaf & Differently challenged Women and children as for the first time deaf & Differently challenged Women and children got opportunity to lodge their complaint in sign language and gestures which made this community aware that they can also lodge a complaint like a normal person or otherwise if there complaint is lodged in any police station or court will be felicitated with the help of sign language expert like us. This initiative is catering the needs of entire deaf and mute population of Madhya Pradesh approx 3 lakhs. So far in the span of 19 years time it has attended more than 1000 cases, including police station courts and counseling.
Training in 51 districts
Monica and her husband haven't stopped there, they are imparting training to at least one person from all the 51 districts in Madhya Pradesh, that trained person can be a liaison between a mute person and the police. Monica and her husband has dubbed movies in sign language, movies like Sholay, Taare Zameen Par, Munnabhai MBBS and Gandhi, thinking that entertainment also has its own importance even in the life of a deaf and dumb. The deaf & Differently challenged Women and children community started enjoying like a normal person while watching a movie; it made them humming songs and dialog in sign language.
Monica Purohit is a State Level Women Coordinator of M.P Deaf Differently Women and children Police Helpline run by Indore Police in joint conjunction with Anand Service Society and also Director of Anand Service Society. She teaches deaf Differently Women and children, instill the confidence in them to go out and face the ‘normal’ world, and leave no stone unturned to make their voice heard. She is a voice of Deaf and Dumb, which resulted into death threats to her as well, but her determination to make a difference, gives her strength to go on. Her husband is Mr. Gyanendra Purohit is leading social activist and High Court Lawyer. She is mother of two boys, Sarthak and Chinmay. Monica is the Director of a Deaf & Differently challenged Women and children Institute working for the upliftment of women and especially abled children under the aegis of Anand Service society. The Institute is running four integrated residential hostels for deaf & Differently challenged Women and children at rural and tribal areas of MP at Dhar, Khandwa, Alirajpur and Indore.
Awards and honours
- Honored by Amitabh Bachchan in his TV Show Aaj Ki Raat Hai Zindagi on 15 November 2015 along with her Husband Gyanendra Purohit for the selfless service to the deaf and community of India.
- Rastriya Swayam Siddhi Samman by Jindal Steel Foundation on 14 January 2016 for the unique initiative to identify, to reward and recognize grassroots leaders and innovators for their exemplary courage, commitment and confidence that has enabled them to overcome adversities, making them a source of inspiration for many in India.
- Honored by President of India recently as 100 women achiever of India. The initiative was jointly launched by union ministry of women and child development in collaboration with Facebook. She is been honored by the President of India at President house on 22 January 2016.
- Recipient of Zee Women achiever award 2016 for upliftment of deaf children and women empowerment.
- Recipient Swaraj women excellence award 2016 for upliftment of deaf children and women empowerment.
- Recipient Gurjar Goud 1st Ratnasamman 2016.
- Indore Nagar Nigam honoured her as a best teacher among the special educator category.
- Indore Traffic Police honored her for the creative contribution to the society by Deaf Women and children.
- Recipient Rotary Nation Builder award 2017 for excellent service for deaf children and women.
- Recipient Inner Wheel club award 2015- 2016 for excellent service for deaf children and women.
- Malwa Nimar Badhir Sangh honored her for the best contribution in the field of Deaf education and rehabilitation.
- Gynecology society honored for her great services for the welfare of disabled women in the year 2015, in presence of the LokSabha Speaker Smt. Sumitra Mahajan.
- Honoured by Bhramkumaris Indore centre on International women's day 2018
- Honoured by Dr. Subhash Chandra along with her husband on his show "The DSC Show" by Zee Entertainment Enterprises, aired on 2 November 2017, speaking about the concept of “Purpose of Life”.
- Recipient of FICCI flow Women achiever award 2018 by CM, MP and Steel Secretary of India Ms.Aruna Sharma
- Recipient of Women Excellence Achievement Award.
- Recipient Felicitation cum Honour from Anand Mohan Mathur Charitable Trust for exemplary services at state level for upliftment of Deaf Children.
- Recipient Women Achiever Award 2019 by Prestige Institute of Management and Research.
- Recipient of Times of Indian "Out of the league- Women Achiever in untouched domain" award 2019.
- Recipient of Women Empowerment Award 2019 By Aashirwad Foundation Indore.
- Recipient of Women Of The Future Award 2019 (WOTFA) for extraordinary work for special women.
- Recipient of Special Award "Nari Shakti ko Pranam 2019" for Disabled Women Empowerment By Brij Bhoomi Foundation Mathura. Mentor of the foundation is MP Smt. Hema Malini
- Education Excellence Award 2019 for empowerment of Deaf by Education Minister Shri Jeetu Patwari, Swaraj Express & SMBC Media group.
- Honoured by Lion's International 3233 for outstanding work for Disabled Women Empowerment.
- Deaf & Differently Abled is recognized as amongst the best Antodaya practices of India by Ministry of Culture (India).
- "iWGA Nominee 2019 | Monica Sharma Purohit". iWoman Global Awards. Retrieved 2020-03-03.
- The Sounds Of Silence - Monica & Gyanendra Purohit's #WillOfSteel Story, retrieved 2020-03-03
- "The voice of the silence". The Free Press Journal. 20 November 2015.
- "Indore based couple dubbed movies into sign language". The Times of India. 27 May 2012.
- "Celebrating the spirit of women:Coordinator of M.P. Deaf and Dumb Police Helpline, Mrs. Monica Purohit". Indore HD. 8 April 2019. Retrieved 14 March 2020.
- Women Achievers : Monika Sharma Purohit, retrieved 2020-03-03
- "Anti-dumping measures in steel to continue: Aruna Sharma, Steel Secretary". https://Economic Times. 12 January 2018. Retrieved 14 March 2020.
This article "Monica Sharma Purohit" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Monica Sharma Purohit. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.