Professor Caveman at the 2018 North Jersey Indie Rock Festival.
|Origin||New Brunswick, New Jersey, U.S.|
|Labels||Sniffling Indie Kids|
Professor Caveman is an American rock band from New Jersey.
Professor Caveman was founded in 2014 by Rob Romano, a printmaking major, during his freshman year at Rutgers University. Their music is classified as garage and punk, and they draw comparison to the bands Foxygen, Best Coast and the musician Mac DeMarco. Their first EP, the six-track grape., was released on 23 February 2014. It is described as psychedelic surf-rock, and draws comparison to the music of the Beach Boys.
Professor Caveman's second EP, Vol. 2, was released on 5 December 2014, and features "latin bossa nova undertones and a more prominent punk-rock influence, creating a mélange of genres that work together harmoniously." By 2014, Professor Caveman became popular in New Brunswick's basement scene, and they played at the college radio station, 90.3 The Core's 2014 musical festival Corefest.The Deli calls their third album, Vol. 3, "a super intriguing and borderline bizarre EP," adding that "the luscious, crisp guitar chords[,] melt, blend, and evolve into something else entirely; cryptic and fuzzy vocals mumble barely articulate lyrics with a South American flavor, wallowing into ever-changing bass lines and drum beats, all accompanied by a horn section."
Sniffling Indie Kids
In 2017, Professor Caveman signed with Sniffling Indie Kids, and released the four-track EP Vol. 3, on 19 May 2017. They performed at the North Jersey Indie Rock Festival on 6 October 2018. Their fourth EP, the five-song Vol. 4, was released on 20 April 2018. It is described as psychedelic funk and draws comparison to the music of Ariel Pink and Unknown Mortal Orchestra. Bob Makin of The Aquarian Weekly says that "the jams 'n' grooves are as righteous as the rain[,] with its sweet Prince-like falsetto; frantic, driving beat; tribal backing vocals; nuanced keyboard and synthesizer flourishes, and smooth, yet sexy Steely Dannish guitar runs." Adam Yawdosyn of The Rutgers Review lists the EP in his Best Songs and Albums of 2018, and calls Professor Caveman the "best band in New Brunswick."
- John Colaiacovo – keys
- Dan Connolly – bass
- Omar Elshafi – guitar
- Shannon Moore – drums
- Rob Romano – guitar and vocals
- Louise Ardine – bass
- Erica Butts – guitar, synth and backup vocals
- Mike Madden – drums
- grape. (2014)
- Vol. 2 (2014)
- Vol. 3 (2017)
- Vol. 4 (2018)
- Appio, Jim (22 August 2017), "Professor Caveman Joins Sniffling Indie Kids. Vol. 3 Coming to All Digital Platforms on 9/15", CoolDad Music, retrieved 13 March 2019
- Devlin, Pearce (2017), "Professor Caveman Release New EP, Vol. 3", The Deli, retrieved 13 March 2019
- Makin, Bob (20 September 2018), "Makin Waves Record of the Week: Professor Caveman "Vol. 4"", The Aquarian Weekly, retrieved 13 March 2019
- Pirate! Staff (2018), "Professor Caveman - Vol. 4", Pirate!, retrieved 13 March 2019
- Yadin, Hallel; Patel, Vanisha (9 December 2015), "Local Band Asks, "Won't You Take Me to Funky Town?"", New Brunswick Today, retrieved 13 March 2019
- Yawdosyn, Adam (13 January 2019), "The Best Songs and Albums of 2018", The Rutgers Review, retrieved 13 March 2019
- Professor Caveman on Bandcamp