|Edit this InfoBox|
Arnhem, The Netherlands
|Website||Hardeman Official Website|
Sophie Hardeman studied fashion design at the Gerrit Rietveld Academie in Amsterdam  during which she assisted and interned for Bernhard Willhelm and Meadham Kirchhoff. In 2015, she established her namesake and denim-based fashion house, Hardeman.
Hardeman(fashion brand) uses denim to explore social boundaries and push the limits of gender, sexuality, and conformity.
The brand takes everybody’s favorite material–denim–and transforms it into gender-fluid clothing, embracing the little humps and bumps in daily life, and celebrating individuality.
Drawing inspiration from their surroundings, Hardeman uses denim to reflect on society; using it against itself. Hardeman isn’t interested in changing their models, or their customers, for that matter - they prefer to celebrate the people as they already are instead.
Career and later work
In 2016 Hardeman(fashion brand) presented their first unisex denim collection, ‘Out of the Blue,’ as part of the VFILES Runway in February of 2016—at Spring Studios—Sophie Hardeman branched out successfully to Paris in the same year. With their second collection entitled, ‘Where the Grass is Greener,’ Hardeman immediately broke away from the runway show-as-spectacle, to pioneer in more performative ways of showing. The presentation took place in White Box Gallery, New York.
Before the brand’s official debut in 2016, Hardeman was recognized by the New York Times as one of the “Five Designers to Watch”. The following season, she announced she was going to show her line not only during New York Fashion Week, but also in Los Angeles, and Paris. Consequently, the Dutch-designer was nominated and listed on the 2018 “Forbes 30 Under 30 EU. In 2018, Hardeman returned to New York City to present their SS19 collection, ‘Sprung Flung.’
Hardeman has collaborated on multiple interdisciplinary projects with other artists, designers, and creatives.
Hardeman is known for her unconventional approach to presenting her collections, preferring performances and installations over the typical fashion runway.
- 2019: 'A Day in the Feeld', 50M, London
- 2019: 'Hard Love', Ace Hotel, Los Angeles
- 2018: 'Happy Hardeman', ISLA, Berlin.
- 2018: 'Sprung Flung', Crossing Art Gallery, New York.
- 2018: 'Happy Hardeman', ISO, Amsterdam.
- 2017: 'On the Lo', Chelsea Studios, New York
- 2018: 'Rouge 66', Chinatown Soup, New York.
- 2017: 'T1me of ur L1fe', La Plaza, LA.
- 2017: 'Where is Esperanza? Westergasfabriek, Amsterdam
- 2016: 'Where the grass is greener?' Whitebox, New York.
- 2016: 'Out of the blue', Spring Studios, New York.
- 2016: 'Maker Outer', Snackbar Westerpark, Amsterdam.
- 'Lucky Strike' ft. Troye Sivan (2019) [directed by Emma Westenberg] 
- 'Rouge 66' [directed by Ryan Maxey] (2018) 'One to Watch' LA Film Festival Dazed & Confused.
- 'Where is Esperanza?' (2017) [directed by Hannah Rosselin] 
- 'Burning Oceans into Deserts' (2017) [directed by Emma Westenberg] 'Best Emerging Talent' FASHIONCLASH. Premiered on Dazed Digital.
- 'BLUE & YOU' (2016) [directed by Emma Westenberg] 'Best New Fashion Film Award.' Premiered at Show Studio.
- 2019: Wonder Women. Sterke vrouwen in de mode, Mode Museum Hasselt.
- 2018: Femme Fatales Gemeente Museum Den Haag.
- 2018: Viral bodies performance at the School and a commission for the NXS Publication.
- 2018: BIC Collection exhibition, CENTQUATRE, Paris, France.
- 2017: 'In No Particular Order' van Abbe Museum Eindhoven.
- 2016: 'HEROES', commissioned work included in exhibition and publication, Centre For Style, Australia.
- 2016: 'Patch Art Project' performance and installation at UNFAIR Art Fair.
- 2016: 'Future Generation' video installation, Amsterdam Fashion Week.
- 2016: 'Out of the Blue', installation at Castrum Perengini.
- 2018: Forbes 30 Under 30 EU.
- 2017: ELLE Style Awards, nominated.
- 2017: ELLE International Designer Award Winner.
- 2017: Mode Talent van 2017 Volkskrant.
- 2016: Best New Fashion Film Award, Fashion Film Festival Milano.
- 2016: Young Designer Award, nominated for DDW.
- 2015: Out of the Blue,' nominated for the Gerrit Rietveld Design Award: Category Applied Arts.
- "Sophie Hardeman - Dutch Design Awards". Dutch Design Awards.
- "Fashion Department Gerrit Rietveld Academie". Rietveld Academie NL.
- La Ferla, Ruth. "Chasing Fashion's Cutting Edge". The New York Times.
- Koh, Angela. "Five Designers to Watch at New York Fashion Week". The New York Times.
- "Forbes 30 Under 30 2018". Forbes.
- "Spring Break Forever". Office Magazine.
- 'Sophie Hardeman's new collection investigates love & sexuality' I-d
- Cult denim Label Hardeman might help you find love Dazed
- "Hardeman Collection Lauch at ISLA". ISLA Berlin.
- "Spring Break Forever at Hardeman". i-D.
- "ISO Amsterdam". ISO Amsterdam NL.
- "Chinatown Soup x Hardeman". Chinatown Soup.
- "New Hardeman Collection Presented at NYFW". Dutch Culture USA.
- "OUT OF THE BLUE". VFILES.
- "Troye Sivan - Lucky Strike". Youtube.
- "Rouge 66". LA Fashion Film Fest.
- "Watch Hardeman Film About the Adventures of a Denim Biker Boy". Dazed Digital.
- "Premiere: Follow Hardeman Around East LA in Their New Fall Fashion Film, 'Where is Esperanza?'". Bullet.
- "Winners - Fashion Clash Fashion Film Festival 2017". Fashion Clash.
- "Burning Oceans into Deserts - Dazed". Dazed Digital.
- "Blue and You - Best New Fashion Film 2016". Fashion Film Festival Milano.
- "Fashion Film Exclusives - Blue AND YOU". Show Studio.
- "Femme Fatales - Strong Women in Fashion". Copyright Bookshop.
- "Femmes Fatales". Gemeente Museum Den Haag.
- "Viral Bodies". NXS World.
- "The Bic Collection Exhibited Centquatre-Paris From April 14 to May 13, 2018". Bic World.
- "In No Particular Order". van Abbe Museum.
- "HEROES". 3 Ply.
- "Performances". UNFAIR Amsterdam.
- "Future Generation". Mode Muze NL.
- "CASTRVM PERENGINI - Art and Culture, Freedom and Friendship". Castrum Perengini.
- "Sophie Hardeman". Forbes 30 Under 30.
- "Fashion Pro Award". ELLE.
- "Dit zijn de winnaars van ELLE Fashion Now". ELLE.
- Koetsenruijter, Lisa. "Dit is hét modetalent van 2017". deVolkskrant.
- "Blue and You". Fashion Film Festival Milano.
- "Young Designer - Sophie Hardeman". Dutch Design Awards.
- "Sophie Hardeman - Mode 2015". Rietveld Academie NL.