United States visa embargo against Iran
Since the 1979 Iranian revolution, the United States has established visa embargo against Iranian citizens. Iranian journalists and politicians, in many occasions, were not allowed to attend the United Nations meetings and events due to the embargo.
- Abbas Kiarostami was denied a visa to enter the United States attempting to attend the New York Film Festival.
- One of Iran's most acclaimed musicians, Hossein Alizadeh, was denied a U.S. visa and did not attend the concert with Shajarian's team.
- More than 100 Iranian citizens traveling to Santa Clara, California, for a reunion of graduates and professors from Sharif University of Technology were stopped at U.S. airports and told the visas they were carrying had been revoked.
- 15 Iranian journalists accompanying Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to a meeting of the United Nations General Assembly said the U.S. refused to issue them visas. The United States Department of State said that journalists applied for visas one business day prior to the trip, which was not enough time for the visas to issued.
- The U.S. delayed issuing a visa to Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki, causing him to cancel a trip to attend a United Nations General Assembly meeting on whether to impose sanctions on Iran..
- Iranian Blind Powerlifting Team did not participate in the world championship in Miami due to visa denial.
- Parviz Davoudi, the vice president of Iran, was denied a visa to attend a United Nations' economic meeting.
- "Movies". salon.com.
- "Visa rules hurt cultural ties / New anti-terrorism screening forces cancellation of concerts". SFGate.
- "Some Iranian visa holders sent home". The Orange County Register.
- "US denial on Iranian journalist visas". Agence France-Presse. September 20, 2006.
- "Security Council slaps new UN sanctions on Iran". Agence France-Presse. March 25, 2007.
- "Iran protests over US's refusal to issue visas for blind athletes". Tehran Times. July 8, 2008.
- "Iran criticizes U.S. over visa denial". Tehran Times. June 28, 2009.
- "As one door closes..." Nature. 427. 15 January 2004. p. 190–195.
This article "United States visa embargo against Iran" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.