April 2019 Kalmunai shootout
|April 2019 Kalmunai Shootout|
National Thowheeth Jama'ath Uses the same flag as ISIS |
Islamic State of Iraq and Levant(Allegedly).
|Commanders and leaders|
|Maithripala Sirisena Mahesh Senanayake||Unknown|
|Casualties and losses|
No security forces |
10 civilians killed
On 27 April 2019, Sri Lankan security forces and militants from National Thowheeth Jama'ath allegedly linked to ISIS clashed after the security forces raided a safe house of the militants used to manufacture explosives and suicide vests in the town of Sainthamaruthu in Kalmunai. Sixteen people, including six children, died during the raid as three cornered suicide bombers blew themselves up. 
Background[edit | edit source]
After the 2019 Sri Lanka Easter bombings the government was carrying out a special operation looking for suspected terrorists.Special Task Force received a tip from a traffic police officer about a house with a group of suspicious people. The Special Task Force went onto raid the house under suspicion .
Attacks[edit | edit source]
When the Special Task Force tried to enter the house shots were fired from inside. The security forces exchanged fire with those inside the safe house for about an hour. Suicide bombers cornered by security forces blew themselves up in the raid which left 16 people dead, including six children .
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
15 bodies were initially recovered from the site of the clash. Security troops also recovered explosives, detonators, gelignite sticks, acid bottles, detonating cords, ISIS flags, suicide kits and military uniforms.A woman and a child injured at a nearby house during the explosions were taken to the hospital .
Curfew was imposed in the area till further notice. 
References[edit | edit source]
- "Terrorists in Sri Lanka swore allegiance to Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi | FDD's Long War Journal". www.longwarjournal.org. April 23, 2019.
- CNN, Sam Kiley, Rebecca Wright, Sheena McKenzie and James Griffiths. "10 civilians and 6 suspected terrorists killed in police raid in Sri Lanka". CNN.
- Bob D'Angelo, Cox Media Group National Content Desk. "Sri Lanka: 16 killed in shootout between police and suspected terrorists". ajc.
- "Children among 16 killed in Sri Lanka raid on terrorist hideout". The National.
- "Shootout in Sainthamarudu when forces raid suicide vest factory - Sri Lanka Latest News". Sri Lanka News - Newsfirst. 2019-04-26. Retrieved 2019-04-27.
- "Police Curfew to be in effect until further notice in Kalmunai – Chavalakade and Samanthurai". Hiru News. Retrieved 2019-04-27.
Others articles of the Topics Sri Lanka AND Islam : 2019 Kalmunai shootout
Others articles of the Topics Islam AND Terrorism : 2019 Kalmunai shootout
Others articles of the Topics Sri Lanka AND Terrorism : 2019 Kalmunai shootout
Others articles of the Topic Sri Lanka : 2019 Kalmunai shootout
Others articles of the Topic Islam : Nabil Al Awadi, Sattari Jame Masjid, 2019 Kalmunai shootout, Muslim Arbitration Tribunal, Mahdi, Muhammad al-Mahdi
Others articles of the Topic Terrorism : 2019 Kalmunai shootout, 2017 Halamish stabbing attack
This article "April 2019 Kalmunai shootout" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:April 2019 Kalmunai shootout. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.