The Bouloussou family of Yanam is one of the prominent native families in Yanam, Puducherry, since, French Indian era. Many members of that family have been successful in politics and engineering. Some others include that of Kamichetty, Mazety, Madimchetty, Nallam, Bezawada, Manyam etc.
The people of surname Bouloussou/Bulusu (బులుసు) belong to Telugu Brahmins of smarta tradition with Gautama sagotra and adhere to Āpastamba Dharmasūtra from the Taittīriya śākhā of Krishna Yajurveda. The difference in orthography of the name is due to French and English translations, where it is written as Bouloussou in the former and Bulusu in the latter. As per narration in Narayaneeyam (Telugu) written by Sri Kalluri Venkata Subrahmanya Deekshitulu, the original folk bearing this surname used to reside within the Kakatiya domain and the surname came from a common Telugu dish pulusu (పులుసు), which implies a spicy tamarind sauce in Telugu states. This surname over a period of time changed to Bulusu and the Islamic invasions forced the folk to move towards velanadu region. The any smarta vaidiki brahmin who resided in that region started to be referred traditionally as Velanati vaidika (వెలనాటి వైదిక) or recently in modern times as Vaidika velanatlu (వైదిక వెలనాట్లు).
The paternal ancestors of this Bouloussou family hail from nearby Ainapuram village situated the other side of Gautami Godavari river in the Konaseema region of Andhra Pradesh. Hence, they refer themselves as Ainapuram Bulusu to distinguish themselves from other Bulusu families. When and how this family moved to nearby French colony of Yanaon remains unknown.
Bouloussou Soubramaniom Sastroulou was politician, judge advocate at Yanam during early twentieth century. He was Diwan of Manyam Zamindar and was actively involved in the administration of committee of Vishnu and Siva Temples. He later went on to become a landlord in Yanam. His popularity later paved way for his plunge into Yanam politics. Later his elder son Bulusu Jaganadha Sastry was a prominent engineer from Yanam before Independence. B. J. Sastry was among on the earliest life members of the Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA), a premier scientific organisation of India. Great-grandson of Bouloussou Soubramaniom Sastroulou, Bulusu Krishna Chaitanya is an Indian engineer and researcher.
The native families of Yanam sponsor the Yanam Venkanna Babu Kalyāṇōtsavam festival (Annual marriage festival of Lord Venkateswara). On the eighth day of that festival, Vāhanam (Chariot carrying the holy deities) of the day will be Panchamukha Ānjaneya Vāhanam (పంచముఖాంజనేయ వాహనము), i.e., The Five-headed Anjaneya Chariot. The Bulusu family were original sponsors of that day (ఉత్సవ నిర్వాహకులు). Later it was handed to the Bhupatiraju family. Other prominent native families who are sponsors of this festival are Bezawada, Singamsetty, Nallam, Grandhi and Kamichetty, etc.
After independence of French India in 1962, none of them opted for restoration of French nationality. Also, the family surname has been anglicised as Bulusu and their names too as per English orthography.
|Bouloussou Zagannadha Sastroulou||Vincatanarasamma|
|Bouloussou Soubramaniom Sastroulou||Bouloussou|
|Bulusu Jaganadha Sastry||Bulusu Lakshminarayanamurty||Bouloussou Satyanarayanamourty||Lakshmi Narasamma|
|Bulusu Krishna Chaitanya|
Previous generation before prominence
- Bouloussou Zagannadha Sastroulou, vedic scholar; and farmer;
- Married to Vincatanarasamma (née Viroubotla), daughter of Veerubhotla Mahalakshmamma of Nimmaluru village.
- Bouloussou Soubramaniom Sastroulou, landlord; and politician; son of Bouloussou Zagannadha Sastroulou
- Married to Souryapracasamma (née Viroubotla).
- Bouloussou Vincata Soubaraidou, farmer; son of Bouloussou Zagannadha Sastroulou
- Bulusu Jaganadha Sastry, engineer; and philanthropist; son of Bouloussou Soubramaniom Sastroulou
- Married to Annapurna(née Mangipudi) of Peddapuram zamindar.
- Bulusu Lakshminarayanamurty, employee of All India Radio;son of Bouloussou Soubramaniom Sastroulou
- Married to Sarvalakshmi.
- Bouloussou Satyanarayanamourty, farmer; son of Bouloussou Soubramaniom Sastroulou
- Married to Lakshmi Narasamma (née Hari) , daughter of Hari Somanatha Sastry of Avidi village.
- Lakshmi Koppeswari, housewife, daughter of Bulusu Satyanarayanamurty
- Bulusu Subrahmanyam, employee of Public Works Department, Puducherry; son of Bulusu Satyanarayanamurty
- Married to Venkata Lakshmi (née Bhagavatula), daughter of Bhagavatula Subrahmanyam of Kakinada.
- Suryaprakasam, school head mistress, Yanam, daughter of Bulusu Satyanarayanamurty
- Sai Janaki, school head mistress, Yanam, daughter of Bulusu Satyanarayanamurty
- Annapurna, housewife, daughter of Bulusu Satyanarayanamurty
- Yanam Venkanna Babu Kalyāṇōtsavam
- French India
- The Telugus of Yanam and Masulipatnam: From French rule to Integration with India (2007), by J B Prashant More.
- Frenchi Palanalo Yanam (2013), by Bolloju Baba.
- Brahmanula Indlaperlu Gotralu Pravaralu (2016), Mohan Publications, Rajahmundry-1.
- Narayaneeyam, Sri Kalluri Venkata Subrahmanya Deekshitulu, Published by B.V.S.S.Mani, 95, Broadway, Madras, 1977
- p.202, The aristocracy of southern India (1903), A. Vadivelu, West and Co., Madras.
- Journal Officiel des établissements français dans l'Inde, 1894.
- Journal Officiel des établissements français dans l'Inde, 1917.
- Journal Officiel des établissements français dans l'Inde, 1928.
- "Members". www.sciencecongress.nic.in. Retrieved 2021-02-05.
- "Faculty". www.mahindraecolecentrale.edu.in.
- "Method for Conditioning a Signal for Amplification Thereof, Method for Amplification, Associated Conditioning Device and Amplification Device".
- "p.50. Proceedings of the Indian Science Congress, 1952 – Science". Indian Science Congress Association. 1952.
- Bulusu, Sri Satish Krishna Chaitanya (April 29, 2016). "Performance Analysis and PAPR Reduction Techniques for Filter-Bank based Multi-Carrier Systems with Non-Linear Power Amplifiers" – via theses.fr.
This article "Bouloussou family" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Bouloussou family. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.