|The Kapoor family|
Kapoor family on Randhir's birthday
|Current region||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Place of origin||Samundri, Punjab, British India (present-day Punjab, Pakistan)|
(Prithviraj Kapoor in 1906 CE)
|Members||See table below|
|Connected families||Surinder Kapoor family|
|Heirlooms||R. K. Studio, Prithvi Theatre|
|Estate(s)||Krishna Raj Bungalow, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
Kapoor Haveli, Peshawar, Pakistan (formerly owned)
Active since 1929; Prithviraj Kapoor acted in Alam Ara (1931), the first talkie film of India
|Murli Mal Kapoor|
|Prithviraj Kapoor · Trilok Kapoor|
|Raj Kapoor · Shammi Kapoor|
|Shashi Kapoor · Ravinder Kapoor|
|Devinder Kapoor · Urmila Kapoor Sial|
|Randhir Kapoor · Ritu Kapoor Nanda|
|Rishi Kapoor · Rima Kapoor Jain|
|Generation 4 (Raj Kapoor's grandchildren)|
|Randhir Kapoor-Babita Shivdasani's children|
|Karisma Kapoor · Kareena Kapoor|
|Ritu-Ranjan Nanda's children|
|Nikhil Nanda · Nitasha Nanda|
|Rishi Kapoor-Neetu Singh's children|
|Riddhima Kapoor · Ranbir Kapoor|
|Rima-Manoj Jain's children|
|Armaan Jain · Aadar Jain|
|Aditya Raj Kapoor · Kanchan Kapoor|
|(Shammi Kapoor-Neila Devi's children)|
|Generation 4 (Shammi Kapoor's grandchildren)|
|Aditya Raj-Preeti Kapoor's children|
|Tulsi Kapoor · Vishwa Pratap Kapoor|
|Kanchan Kapoor-Ketan Desai's children|
|Pooja Desai · Rajarajeshwari Desai|
|Kunal Kapoor · Karan Kapoor|
|Generation 4 (Shashi Kapoor's grandchildren)|
|Kunal Kapoor-Sheena Sippy's children|
|Shaira Kapoor · Zahan Kapoor|
|Karan-Lorna Kapoor's children|
|Aliya Kapoor · Zach Kapoor|
|Sanjana-Valmik Thapar's children|
|Generation 2 (Trilok Kapoor's children)|
|Vijay Kapoor · Vicky Kapoor|
|Generation 3 (Vijay Kapoor's children)|
|Ajay Kapoor · Sanjay Kapoor|
The Kapoor family is of Khatri Punjabi Hindu origin. Prithviraj Kapoor was the first from the family to pursue a career in films. His brother Trilok Kapoor soon followed him into films. Prithviraj Kapoor was born in 1906 in the town of Samundri in Punjab Province. His father, Basheshwarnath Kapoor, served as a police officer in the Imperial Police in the city of Peshawar; while his grandfather, Keshavmal Kapoor, was a Tehsildar in Samundri. Prithviraj's first lead role was in Cinema Girl in 1929.
The family eventually migrated to present-day India. All three of Prithviraj Kapoor's sons, Raj Kapoor, Shammi Kapoor, and Shashi Kapoor, made careers in the Hindi film industry. Raj Kapoor also known as "the greatest showman of Indian cinema", became a noted Indian film actor, producer and director of Hindi cinema.
Raj Kapoor's sons, Randhir Kapoor and Rishi Kapoor, went on to become well-known actors; his youngest son, Rajiv Kapoor, was not as successful as his brothers. Shashi Kapoor's daughter Sanjana Kapoor also became a film actress, although she had a short career.
Randhir Kapoor is married to Babita. They have two daughters Karisma Kapoor and Kareena Kapoor, both of whom have found success in the film industry. Rishi Kapoor was married to actress Neetu Singh, their son, Ranbir Kapoor, has established himself as a leading Bollywood actor, and their daughter, Riddhima Kapoor Sahani, is a designer.
Prithviraj Kapoor's cousin was Surinder Kapoor. Surinder Kapoor left Peshawar and came to Mumbai with help from Prithviraj Kapoor. Surinder Kapoor was married to Nirmal Kapoor. His oldest son is Boney Kapoor who was married to Mona Shourie and Sridevi and is the father of Arjun, Anshula, Janhvi, and Khushi Kapoor. His middle son is Anil Kapoor who is married to Sunita Kapoor and is the father of Sonam (married to Anand Ahuja), Rhea and Harshvardhan Kapoor. His youngest son is Sanjay Kapoor who is married to Maheep Sandhu and is the father of Shanaya and Jahaan Kapoor. His daughter is Reena Kapoor Marwah who is married to Sandeep Marwah of Marwah Films and Video Studios and is the mother of Mohit (married to Antara Motiwala) and Akshay Marwah (married to Aashita Relan).
To note, Kapoor is one of the most common last names in India, according to Varun Kapoor, North America's leading expert on the subject and self appointed "Kapoorologist". In an April 2020 interview, Kapoor stated "there are dozens of Kapoors in the film industry" and went on to say that "like literally none of them are related", referring to the vast number of Kapoors that reside in India.
Members of the Kapoor family
Previous generations before the film industry
- Murli Mal Kapoor
- Keshavmal Kapoor – son of Murli Mal Kapoor; married to Prem Kapoor
- Basheshwarnath Kapoor – son of Keshavmal Kapoor
- Shambhunath Kapoor – son of Murli Mal Kapoor
- Ram Rakhi Mehra (née Kapoor) – daughter of Murli Mal Kapoor
- Ram Pyari Khanna (née Kapoor) – daughter of Murli Mal Kapoor
- Kaushaliya Khanna (née Kapoor) – daughter of Murli Mal Kapoor
- Keshavmal Kapoor – son of Murli Mal Kapoor; married to Prem Kapoor
- Prithviraj Kapoor – first son of Basheshwarnath Kapoor and the first member of family to enter the Hindi film industry; married to Ramsarni Mehra
- Trilok Kapoor – son of Basheshwarnath Kapoor
- Amarnath Kapoor – son of Basheshwarnath Kapoor
- Vishwanath (Vishi) Kapoor – son of Basheshwarnath Kapoor
- Lt. Col. Ramesh Kapoor – son of Basheshwarnath Kapoor
- Prem Mehra (née Kapoor) – daughter of Basheshwarnath Kapoor; married to Prithvi Chand Mehra
- Kailash Kakar (née Kapoor) – daughter of Basheshwarnath Kapoor
- Shanta Kapoor Dhawan – daughter of Basheshwarnath Kapoor
- Surinder Kapoor - cousin of Prithviraj, Trilok, Amarnath, Vishwanath, Ramesh, Prem, Kailash, and Shanta Kapoor
- Raj Kapoor – eldest son of Prithviraj Kapoor; married to Krishna Malhotra, sister of actor Prem Nath
- Shammi Kapoor – fourth son of Prithviraj Kapoor; married to Geeta Bali (first wife) and Neila Devi (second wife)
- Shashi Kapoor – youngest son of Prithviraj Kapoor; married to Jennifer Kendal
- Ravinder Kapoor – second/third son of Prithviraj Kapoor (died in childhood);
- Devinder Kapoor – second/third son of Prithviraj Kapoor (died in childhood);
- Urmila Sial Kapoor – Daughter of Prithviraj Kapoor; married to Charanjit Sial
- Vijay Kapoor – son of Trilok Kapoor
- Vicky Kapoor – son of Trilok Kapoor
- Naval Mehra – son of Prem Mehra (née Kapoor); married to Anne-Marie Mehra
- Vijay Mehra – son of Prem Mehra (née Kapoor); married to Ruth Mehra
- Sabita Khanna (née Mehra) – daughter of Prem Mehra (née Kapoor)
- Kiran Seth (née Mehra) – daughter of Prem Mehra (née Kapoor); married to Vipin Seth
- Boney Kapoor – son of Surinder Kapoor; formerly married to Mona Shourie Kapoor and Sridevi
- Anil Kapoor – son of Surinder Kapoor; married to Sunita Kapoor
- Sanjay Kapoor – son of Surinder Kapoor; married to Maheep Sandhu Kapoor
- Reena Kapoor Marwah – daughter of Surinder Kapoor; married to Sandeep Marwah
- Randhir Kapoor – eldest son of Raj Kapoor; married to Babita
- Ritu Nanda – elder daughter of Raj Kapoor; married to Rajan Nanda
- Rishi Kapoor – second son of Raj Kapoor; married to Neetu Singh Kapoor
- Rima Jain – second daughter of Raj Kapoor; married to Manoj Jain
- Rajiv Kapoor – youngest son of Raj Kapoor
- Aditya Raj Kapoor – son of Shammi Kapoor and Geeta Bali married to Priti Kapoor
- Kanchan Kapoor – daughter of Shammi Kapoor and Geeta Bali married to Ketan Desai
- Kunal Kapoor – elder son of Shashi Kapoor and Jennifer Kendal
- Karan Kapoor – younger son of Shashi Kapoor and Jennifer Kendal
- Sanjana Kapoor – daughter of Shashi Kapoor and Jennifer Kendal; married to Valmik Thapar
- Jatin Sial – son of Urmila Sial Kapoor
- Anuradha Sial – daughter of Urmila Sial Kapoor
- Priti Sial – daughter of Urmila Sial Kapoor
- Namita Sial – daughter of Urmila Sial Kapoor
- Andrew Mehra – son of Naval Mehra
- Christina Minner (née Mehra) – daughter of Naval Mehra
- Vikram Seth – son of Kiran Seth (née Mehra)
- Mrinal Seth – son of Kiran Seth (née Mehra)
- Arjun Kapoor – son of Boney Kapoor
- Anshula Kapoor – daughter of Boney Kapoor
- Janhvi Kapoor – daughter of Boney Kapoor
- Khushi Kapoor – daughter of Boney Kapoor
- Sonam Kapoor – daughter of Anil Kapoor; married to Anand Ahuja
- Rhea Kapoor – daughter of Anil Kapoor
- Harshvardhan Kapoor – son of Anil Kapoor
- Jahaan Kapoor – son of Sanjay Kapoor
- Shanaya Kapoor – daughter of Sanjay Kapoor
- Mohit Marwah – son of Reena Kapoor Marwah; married to Antara Motiwala
- Akshay Marwah - son of Reena Kapoor Marwah; married to Aashita Relan
- Karisma Kapoor — elder daughter of Randhir Kapoor and Babita; formerly married to Sanjay Kapur, a businessman
- Kareena Kapoor — younger daughter of Randhir Kapoor and Babita; married to actor Saif Ali Khan.
- Riddhima Kapoor Sahni – daughter of Rishi Kapoor and Neetu Singh Kapoor; married to Bharat Sahni
- Ranbir Kapoor — son of Rishi Kapoor and Neetu Singh Kapoor
- Nikhil Nanda — son of Ritu Nanda and Rajan Nanda; married to Shweta Bachchan, daughter of actors Amitabh Bachchan and Jaya Bachchan
- Nitasha Nanda — daughter of Ritu Nanda and Rajan Nanda;
- Armaan Jain — elder son of Rima Jain and Manoj Jain, debuted as actor in Lekar Hum Deewana Dil
- Aadar Jain – Younger Son of Rima Jain and Manoj Jain, making debut with 2017 Hindi film Qaidi Band.
- Shivani Kapoor – cousin of Karisma and Kareena Kapoor.
- Zahan Kapoor – son of Kunal Kapoor and his former wife Sheena Sippy, daughter of Ramesh Sippy
- Shaira Kapoor – daughter of Kunal Kapoor and his former wife Sheena Sippy, daughter of Ramesh Sippy
- Hamir Thapar - Son of Sanjana Kapoor and Valmik Thapar
- Zach Kapoor - Son of Karan Kapoor
- Alia Kapoor - Daughter of Karan Kapoor
- Tulsi Kapoor - Daughter of Aditya Raj Kapoor and Preeti Kapoor
- Vishwa Pratap Kapoor - Son of Aditya Raj Kapoor and Preeti Kapoor
- Pooja Desai - Daughter of Kanchan Kapoor Desai and Ketan Desai
- Rajrajeshwari Desai - Daughter of Kanchan Kapoor Desai and Ketan Desai
- Samaira Kapur — daughter of Karisma Kapoor and her former husband Sanjay Kapur
- Kiaan Raj Kapur — son of Karisma Kapoor and her former husband Sanjay Kapur
- Taimur Ali Khan – son of Kareena Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan
- Samara Sahni – daughter of Riddhima Kapoor Sahni and Bharat Sahni
- Navya Naveli Nanda – daughter of Nikhil Nanda and Shweta Bachchan Nanda
- Agasthya Nanda – son of Nikhil Nanda and Shweta Bachchan Nanda
- Shashi Kapoor01.jpg
R.K. Film and R. K. Studio entrance, Mumbai.
- List of Hindi film clans
- "Prithviraj Kapoor to Kareena Kapoor and Ranbir Kapoor".
- "Prithviraj Kapoor (Indian actor) – Encyclopædia Britannica". Britannica.com. 2013-02-04. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- Showman Raj Kapoor’s house to be converted into museum By Hidayat KhanPublished: 23 September 2012 http://tribune.com.pk/story/441304/showman-raj-kapoors-house-to-be-converted-into-museum/
- Talk Back: Eye On India (Interview with Anil Kapoor) Ep33 Pt1. Dawn News. Retrieved 2012-08-23.
I'm a Pathan's son... my father, my grandfather they were all Pathans from Peshawar...
- "Nikhil Nanda & Shweta Bachchan – Take a peek at the business & political landscape of marriages | The Economic Times". Economictimes.indiatimes.com. 2013-03-22. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- Bina Rai: The good old days Archived 2009-12-27 at the Wayback Machine Screen.
- Sen, Shomini (13 October 2012). "What Sharmila couldn't do in her time, Kareena manages easily". Zee News. Retrieved 15 August 2013.
- Nirpal Dhaliwal. "Nirpal Dhaliwal: My Bollywood bit part | Film". The Guardian. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- Gooptu, Sharmistha (29 October 2010). "Bengali Cinema: 'An Other Nation'". Taylor & Francis – via Google Books.
- Fashion Cultures: Theories, Explorations, and Analysis edited by Stella Bruzzi, Pamela Church
- "Remembering an icon: Prithviraj Kapoor".
- Untitled Document Archived 2009-05-05 at the Wayback Machine
- "rediff.com: Bollywood's First Family".
- "14th December 1924: Raj Kapoor, Indian actors and directors, was born". mapsofindia.com. 18 February 2016.
- "Raj Kapoor and the Golden Age of Indian Cinema". hcl.harvard.edu. 19 February 2015. Archived from the original on 18 January 2018. Unknown parameter
- "Nikhil Nanda: The business of life – The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- "Surinder Kapoor & Prithviraj Kapoor". Rediff.com. 4 May 2009. Archived from the original on 2 March 2016. Retrieved 24 February 2016. Unknown parameter
- "Murli Mal Kapoor". geni_family_tree.
- Dutt, Nirupama (18 April 2018). "Flashback at 90: A Kapoor daughter recalls family's filmy journey from Peshawar to the pinnacle". Hindustan Times.
- "Ranbir Kapoor helps Armaan Jain to debut in Saif's Lekar Hum Deewana Dil".
- "Aadar Jain and Anya Singh new faces of Yash Raj Films". Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- Chatterjee, Ashok (17 May 2006). "'I want to be a master of talent'". The Times of India. Retrieved 25 August 2007.
- Goyal, Divya (9 December 2017). "Karisma Kapoor's Daughter Samiera Looks All Grown Up. See Pics". ndtv.com. Retrieved 12 July 2018.
- Lobo, Ryan (12 March 2010). "Karisma Kapoor gives birth to a baby boy". filmibeat.com. Retrieved 12 July 2018.
- "Bollywood's Kareena Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan have a baby boy". bbc.co.uk. 20 December 2016. Retrieved 12 July 2018.
- Khan, Rubina A (28 January 2016). "Gold Rate Riddhima Kapoor-Sahni: 'Girls chase Ranbir and he runs after Samara'". gulfnews.com. Retrieved 12 July 2018.
- Khanna, Priyanka (2 August 2017). "Exclusive: The Bachchan-Nanda women in their first ever interview together". vogue.in. Retrieved 12 July 2018.
- D'Souza, Vinod (18 April 2018). "Amitabh Bachchan's Grandson Agastya Nanda To Debut In Bollywood?". filmibeat.com. Retrieved 12 July 2018.
- "Indian cinema@100: 35 fun facts about the Kapoors of Bollywood". NDTV. 29 April 2013. Retrieved 3 May 2013.