Cyclone Static at FM Jersey City on 8 February 2019.
|Origin||Jersey City, New Jersey, U.S.|
|Labels||Mint 400 Records|
Cyclone Static is an American punk rock band that is from New Jersey.
Cyclone Static is a melodic punk rock band from Jersey City, New Jersey. Vocalist and guitarist James Salerno played in a band with drummer Jonathan LeVine in 1990s called Drywater. In an interview with The Jersey Journal, LeVine recalls "we never got picked up by a label [and] we never really did much. It really sounded a lot like Cyclone Static except today we're a lot more mature." The group disbanded, but rejoined in 2016, along with bassist Danny Patierno.
Cyclone Static draws comparison to the music of Dinosaur Jr., Nirvana, and Guided by Voices, and cite inspiration from 70's punk, 80's hardcore and 90's alternative. Post-hardcore band Thursday's lead vocalist Geoff Rickley, describes them as "an anomaly in modern music[;] not just to a time of punk rock on the radio but a whole lost New Jersey paradise: Asbury Park before the renaissance, radios cranking out surf guitars and sandy, beach-blown harmonies, through empty lots full of downed power lines and bombed-out buildings."
Mint 400 Records
LeVine met Mint 400 Records' Neil Sabatino in the 1990s through playing shows, and they reconnected before performing at the North Jersey Indie Rock Festival, on 23 September 2017. Their first release was "Company Man," on the Mint 400 Records promotional compilation, NJ / NY Mixtape. In 2018, they released the single "Walk This Line," which Jedd Beaudoin of PopMatters describes as a "salvo of relentless punk attitude that bridges the gap between punk's rawest, early days and its culmination as a mainstream force in the 1990s," and the single, "From Scratch." Their debut album, entitled From Scratch, was released with Mint 400 Records on 8 February 2019. The ten-track album is described as garage rock and "angst-filled pop." Florian Meissner of Soundblab compares From Scratch to the Unseen, Roger Miret and the Disasters, and the Buzzcocks, and calls it "38 minutes of punk rock song after punk rock song."
- Jonathan LeVine – drums
- Danny Patierno – bass
- James Salerno – vocals and guitar
- From Scratch (2019)
- "Walk This Line" (2018)
- "From Scratch" (2018)
- Appearing on
- NJ / NY Mixtape (2018)
- Beaudoin, Jedd (13 December 2018), "Cyclone Static Meditates on Commitment with Powerful Track "Walk This Line" (premiere)", PopMatters, retrieved 9 February 2019
- Makin, Bob (6 February 2019), "Makin Waves Record of the Week: "From Scratch" by Cyclone Static", New Jersey Stage, retrieved 9 February 2019
- Meissner, Florian (5 February 2019), "Cyclone Static - From Scratch", Soundblab, retrieved 9 February 2019
- New Jersey Racket Staff (18 November 2017), "North Jersey Indie Rock Festival: Lineup Set Times", New Jersey Racket, retrieved 28 February 2019
- New Noise Staff (16 November 2018), "Song Premiere: Cyclone Static – "From Scratch"", New Noise, retrieved 9 February 2019
- Pirate! Staff (9 February 2019), "Cyclone Static - From Scratch", Pirate!, retrieved 9 February 2019
- Testa, Jim (30 January 2019), "NJ's Cyclone Static celebrates '90s punk on new album", The Jersey Journal, retrieved 9 February 2019
- The Trentonian Staff (21 October 2016), "Trenton Punk Rock Flea Market bewitches for October festival", The Trentonian, retrieved 9 February 2019
- Media related to Cyclone Static at Wikimedia Commons