Fruit & Flowers
Fruit & Flowers
Fruit & Flowers at the 2017 North Jersey Indie Rock Festival.
|Origin||Brooklyn, New York City, U.S.|
|Genres||Psychedelic punk, alternative rock, surf rock|
|Labels||Little Dickman Records|
Fruit & Flowers is an American rock band from New York City.
Fruit & Flowers is a psychedelic rock quartet from Brooklyn, New York City. The band is composed of guitarist and vocalist Ana Becker, drummer Jose Berrio, guitarist and vocalist Lyzi Wakefield, and vocalist and bassist Caroline Yoder. The band plays gritty, dreamy surf rock and draw comparison to the Breeders, Rain Parade and 1970s punk. They played Brooklyn's Northside Festival weeks after their formation. Fruit & Flowers were introduced to Little Dickman Records by the rock band Sharkmuffin. Their first single, "Turquoise," was released on 24 June 2015. The Deli describe it as "a slow burning track featuring a melody that is tele-porting us back to the days of [...] spacey American psych bands of the late '80s."
Fruit & Flowers released their debut six-track EP, entitled Drug Tax, on 30 June 2017. The record release party for Drug Tax was held at Baby's All Right in Brooklyn on 29 June. The music video for the lead single "Out of Touch" released on 17 May 2017. It was directed by Thomas Ignatius, and features footage of the band on the beach. Fruit & Flowers performed at Little Dickman Records' Rock or Die showcase at the South by Southwest musical festival in 2016 and 2017, at the North Jersey Indie Rock Festival on 23 September 2017. Fruit & Flowers released a live album with Audiotree on 27 July 2017, which contains an unreleased song "Inside Decides."
- Ana Becker – guitar and vocals
- Jose Berrio – drums
- Lyzi Wakefield – guitar and vocals
- Caroline Yoder – vocals and bass
- Drug Tax (2017)
- "Turquoise" (2015)
- "Out of Touch" (2017)
- "Subway Surfer" (2017)
- Appio, Jim (1 July 2017), "Fruit & Flowers Played Baby's All Right with Surf Rock Is Dead and Sic Tic, 6/29/17. Show Recap and EP Review.", CoolDad Music, retrieved 28 March 2019
- BrooklynVegan Staff (17 May 2017), "Fruit & Flowers prep debut EP (check out "Out of Touch") playing lots of shows", BrooklynVegan, retrieved 28 March 2019
- Conte, Chelsea (28 August 2017), "EP Review: Fruit & Flowers – Drug Tax", Speak Into My Good Eye, retrieved 28 March 2019
- The Deli Staff (8 November 2016), "Fruit & Flowers brings their psych post punk to Shea Stadium on 11.13", The Deli, retrieved 30 March 2019
- McGuire, Adam (17 September 2017), "Interview with Ana Becker and Lyzi Wakefield of Fruit & Flowers", New Jersey Racket, retrieved 28 March 2019
- Pfeiffer, John (2 August 2017), "Shoreworld: Fruit & Flowers – Drug Tax", The Aquarian Weekly, retrieved 28 March 2019
- SXSW Staff (2017), "Fruit & Flowers", SXSW, retrieved 29 March 2019
- Official website
- Morning After: Tutu's or Tina's with Fruit & Flowers an interview with Audiofemme