|File:The home page of Icons8.png|
|Employees||40 (Q3, 2018)|
|Alexa rank||6,646 (Global, October 2018[update])|
|Launched||February 4, 2012|
Icons8 is an American company that creates the resources for the designers. Icons8 has historically focused upon the creation of the computer icons, with a more recent foray towards stock photography, stock music, and graphic design software.
Icons8 was founded by Ivan Braun in 2012. Initially, it wasn't a separate business, but a small icon library created for self-promotion. The library consisted of 1000 icons in the Windows 8 style; thus the name Icons8 comes from "icons for Windows 8."
The license was free but required crediting Icons8 on each web page where the icons were used. Some people offered to pay to lift this requirement. Therefore, in August 2012, Ivan set the price of $99 and published a link to the payment page on the main menu. It generated around $2,000 in the first month. Soon, the company stopped taking the orders from the clients and concentrated on creating the library and software to manage them.
In the latest years, the company kept adding the icons based on the user requests. In 2016, the library reached 36,000 icons. The same year, the team launched Lunacy, a graphics editor for Windows.
Unsuccessful redesign caused a 50% drop in user participation early in 2017.
In 2017, Icons8 started the music and photos projects; they were released in 2018.
In August 2018, the company released research showing that the top startups don't use the fancy fonts, preferring the regular ones, often misspelled.
Icons8 offers several products for graphic designers. The products are available for free as a proprietary "linkware" license that requires the app to link to the Icons8 website.
Alternatively, users can pay to remove this limitation, also getting access to additional formats and features. In January 2016, Icons8 switched to a single paid subscription for all products.
Original icon library has 80,000 icons of 15 styles, including those following the guidelines for iOS, Windows 10, Material Designs, and a number of custom, decorative styles. It includes the apps for web, Mac, and Windows.
Moose is a microstock photography library that allows to combine the models, objects, and backgrounds into the realistic collages. Customers can save the resulting photos in PNG (free; requires a link) or in a layered Photoshop file (for a fee; no linking requirement).
Fugue is a stock music library for the music videos released in May 2018. Unlike other, larger collections, Fugue offers a smaller selection of higher quality. It's been called "Unsplash for music" by the Inc. magazine. One can save the music in MP3 format (free; requires a link) or in a lossless WAV format (for a fee; no linking requirement).
Lunacy is a free, proprietary vector graphics editor that can read and save the documents in the Sketch format. Initially released as a viewer, it introduced the handoff features in version 2. With version 3, it became the vector editor suitable for creating the artworks from scratch.
- "Icons8: Как заработать на раздаче иконок и «сломать» индустрию". Томский Обзор (in Russian).
- Zagoruiko, Andrey (2013-11-27). "Inverview with a founder". vc.ru (in Russian). Retrieved 2018-10-06.CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link)
- Inc., mediagene (2016-11-05). "36,000個のフラットアイコンが無料で手に入るサイト｢Icons8｣" (in 日本語). Retrieved 2018-10-12.
- "8 Fresh Design Tools and Resources For Your 2017 Toolbox". SitePoint. 2017-06-07. Retrieved 2018-10-12.
- Rampton, John (2018-10-23). "9 Dumb Ways Smart Founders Have Managed to Kill Their Companies". Entrepreneur. Retrieved 2018-11-27.
- "Designers at top companies don't use trendy fonts. Here's what they use instead". Fast Company. 2018-08-21. Retrieved 2018-10-12.
- "Icons8 Pricing". Icons8.
- "Fugue - Product Hunt". Product Hunt. Retrieved 2018-10-06.
- "7 Innovative Productivity Tools You Probably Haven't Heard of". Inc.com. 2018-06-05. Retrieved 2018-10-06.
- "Lunacy : enfin un éditeur Sketch pour Windows". Webdesigner Trends (in français). Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- "Icons8 Lunacy: How to Open Sketch Files Under Windows". Noupe.
- "Lunacy, Sketch for Windows". Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- Official website
- Moose Photos
- Font Shaming, a study about the fonts that the startups use
- Fugue Music
- Lunacy in the Microsoft Store
This article "Icons8" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Icons8. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.