|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
Fatal error: The format of the coordinate could not be determined. Parsing failed.
|Elevation||4,104 ft (1,251 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-8 (PST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-7 (PDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||226986|
Leavitt was an unincorporated community in Lassen County, California, United States. It was located alongside the Southern Pacific Railroad 7 miles (11 km) east of Susanville, and 7 miles west of Litchfield, at an elevation of 4,104 feet (1,251 m).
Benjamin Hanson Leavitt (1834–1918), a pioneer rancher and lumberman who came from the state of Maine, settled in Lassen County in 1864 and proposed to build this town on his ranch in 1912, and it became a 'city of sorts' with one store, a few dwellings and a corral. Benjamin Leavitt was a descendant of Samuel Leavitt of Exeter, New Hampshire.
Benjamin Leavitt engineered the Honey Lake Valley irrigation system, including Leavitt Lake. Leavitt also named nearby Clinton, California, for his hometown of Clinton in Kennebec County, Maine. (The town was renamed Leavitt Lake in 1973 when house construction began there.) Benjamin Leavitt was married to Celara Cleveland (Edwards) Leavitt, born in Massachusetts.
A post office at Leavitt was established in October 1914, and named after May F. Leavitt, the first postmaster. It was discontinued in December 1920.
Other articles of the topic California : WWE Yolo County Tag Team Championship, Adventist Health Ukiah Valley, C California Style & Culture Magazine, Overlook Park (Benicia, California), Adventist Health Sonora, Plivo, New Blinzing, California
Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Leavitt, California. Retrieved on 2008-04-14.
- Durham, David L. (1998). California's Geographic Names: A Gazetteer of Historic and Modern Names of the State. Clovis, Calif.: Word Dancer Press. p. 392. ISBN 1-884995-14-4. Search this book on
- Fairfield's Pioneer History of Lassen County, California, Containing Everything that Can Be Learned About It from the Beginning of the World to the Year of Our Lord 1870, Asa Merrill Fairfield, Published for the Author by the H.S. Crocker Company, San Francisco, 1916
- Purdy, Tim. "Exploring Lassen County's Past:Levitt City". tipurdy.com. Retrieved 14 July 2020.
- Lassen County News, Dec. 14, 2004[permanent dead link]
- Bingham, Joseph W. (1916). Cases on the Law of Water Rights. Bobs-Merrill. p. 400. OCLC 2114665. Search this book on (Google Books)
- Lassen County Office of Education Archived 2010-11-03 at the Wayback Machine
- Salley, Harold E. (1991) History of California Post Offices, 1849–1990, p. 116. The Depot, ISBN 0-943645-27-1 Search this book on .
This article "Leavitt, California" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Leavitt, California. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.