A. G Ponn Manickavel
|A. G Ponn Manickavel|
|Born||November 25, 1958|
Indian Police Service
|📆 Years active||1989–present|
A.G. Ponn Manickavel (Tamil: பொன் மாணிக்கவேல்) professionally known as Ponn Manickavel (born 25 November 1958) is an Indian Police Service officer of 1996 batch belonging to the Tamil Nadu Cadre. He is serving as the Inspector General of Idol Wing. He is known for his investigation on pending cases related to theft of ancient idols from various temples across the state Tamilnadu. On the day of retirement, the Madras High Court appointed him as a special officer for a period of one year to probe and complete idol theft cases in Tamil Nadu.
He started his career as direct group-I officer from 1989-batch. He served as deputy Inspector General of Police, Tiruchi Range and Inspector General of Police Railways. On September 2017 he was appointed as Inspector General of Police of Idol Wing, Economic Offences Wing of Tamil Nadu Police. He has reported many irregularities involved in the Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowments Department department and brought hundreds of valuable smuggled idols into India. He helped to retrieve the King Rajaraja Cholan and his queen Lokamadevi stolen bronze statues from Gujarat museum.  He has involved in various investigations including misappropriation in the making of a Panchaloha idol of the Palani Dhandayuthapani temple, idols burglary at Suthamalli Varadaraja Perumal temple and global idol-smuggling network. Even though Tamil Nadu Government insisted CBI to Probe on idol case, Madras High court quashed the order and appointed him special officer with one year extension.
The members of Federation of All Associations of Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowments Department claim religious outfits backing Ponn Manickavel to malign the image of Hindu endowment department.
- Pon Manickavel, an Indian film is being directed by A. C. Mugil Chellappan and starred by Prabhu Deva, is based on the life of Pon Manickavel.
- "IPS : Query Result(s)". dtf.in. Retrieved 2018-10-10.
- "Idol wing Contact Tamil Nadu". Economic Offences Wing. Retrieved 2 January 2019.
- "Idol theft probe: Madras HC re-appoints Pon Manickavel as special officer". The Hindu. Retrieved 2 January 2019.
- "Ensure transparency in police administration, says DIG". The Hindu. Retrieved 2 January 2019.
- "'Elephant' Rajendran to seek court's intervention for service extension of IG Pon Manickavel". Times of India. Retrieved 2 January 2019.
- "Rs 100 crore Tamil Nadu idols retrieved from Gujarat museum - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2018-10-10.
- "1,000-year-old stolen idols of Rajaraja Chola return to TN from Gujarat - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2018-10-10.
- "Investigation into Palani temple idol case resumes". The Hindu. Retrieved 2 January 2019.
- "For an action plan". Frontline. Retrieved 2 January 2019.
- "The man who stole gods". The hindu. Retrieved 2 January 2019.
- "Madras HC quashes GO transferring idol theft cases to CBI, appoints Pon Manickavel as special officer to continue probe". Times of India. Retrieved 2 January 2019.
- "HR and CE officials claim religious outfits backing IG Pon Manickavel". dtNext.in. Retrieved 2 January 2019.
This article "Pon Manickavel" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Pon Manickavel. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.