Young Legs (musician)
|Origin||New Jersey, U.S.|
|Genres||Folk music, indie rock|
|Labels||Mint 400 Records|
|Associated acts||The Big Drops, Trim Tabs|
Young Legs is an American folk musician that is from New Jersey.
Young Legs is an indie folk musician and the artistic moniker of Steven Donahue, a multi-instrumentalist from Bloomfield, New Jersey. Jersey Beat columnist Deborah Draisin describes his music as "innocent, free and intricate" and he draws comparison to Jason Molina and Nick Drake. In 2010, he recorded an album in his parents' basement titled The Fog and The Forest, which Donahue explains as "the story of a disenchanted lover who permanently finds solace in a misty wood." Mint 400 Records signed Young Legs in 2015.
Mint 400 Records
In 2015, Mint 400 Records released the single "Resolution," which Jersey Beat says is "a breath of fresh air," adding "you'll at least virtually feel like you've left the rat race behind for a spell." The twelve-track album Promise of Winter was released on 19 May 2015, which ranges from whispery folk to brash indie-rock. He performed at the 2016 North Jersey Indie Rock Festival. On 4 November 2016, Young Legs released the single "Ring of Salt," which Alan Cross calls "chill," and Speak Into My Good Eye editor Mike Mehalick says that "Young Legs paints an intimate portrait of the quiet desperation and internal mind-wringing that comes with the end of a relationship. Pair that with a haunting acoustic guitar building towards swelling strings and you have a brilliant piece of art in "Ring of Salt."
The Petal and the Page was released on 9 December 2016. In a review for The Fire Note, Matthew Heiner describes the album as "a lush, folk-influenced rock album" that has "variety [...] in its ten tracks, so you're likely to lose track of time listening to it," adding "Donahue is skilled at creating a disciplined ambiance that permeates through the album while injecting different styles. He sounds like he's enjoying himself, and it's easy to join him."
Young Legs appears on the Fairmont album A Spring Widow, sharing vocals with Neil Sabatino on the song "Box of Crickets" which New Jersey Stage describes as "a very Edward Sharpe feel with its big group chorus vocals." On the album Fabricated by Defend the Rhino, music journalist Jim Testa calls Donahue's voice "Cobain-esque" and the melody as "an exquisitely sad composition tinged with regret."
Donahue plays bass guitar and provides backing vocals for The Big Drops. He also plays bass guitar for Trim Tabs, along with Justin Grabosky on vocals and guitar, Ezra Lowrey on keys and Michael Matrisciano on drums.
- The Fog and The Forest (2010)
- Promise of Winter (2015)
- The Petal and the Page (2016)
- "Resolution" (2015)
- "Ring of Salt" (2016)
- Appearing on
- In a Mellow Tone (2015)
- Mint 400 Records Presents Nirvana In Utero (2017)
- A Spring Widow by Fairmont (2017)
- Fabricated by Defend The Rhino (2018)
- At the Movies (2018)
- NJ / NY Mixtape (2018)
- Carradini, Stephen (30 June 2015), "Quick Hits: Young Legs / Battle Ave.", Independent Clauses, retrieved 6 January 2019
- Cross, Alan (11 November 2016), "This Week's Top 11", A Journal of Musical Things, retrieved 6 January 2019
- DeGroot, Joey (6 April 2014), "Seven Great Albums Recorded by One Person: Prince, Paul McCartney, and more", Music Times, retrieved 6 January 2019
- Donahue, Steven (2010), "The Fog and The Forest", Bandcamp, retrieved 6 January 2019
- Draisin, Deborah (2015), "New From Mint 400", Jersey Beat, retrieved 6 January 2019
- Heiner, Matthew (14 February 2017), "Young Legs: The Petal And The Page [Album Review]", The Fire Note, retrieved 6 January 2019
- Mehalick, Mike (12 September 2016), "Live Review: The North Jersey Indie Rock Festival", Speak Into My Good Eye, retrieved 6 February 2019
- Mehalick, Mike (23 October 2016), "Exclusive Premiere: Young Legs Unveils "Ring of Salt" via Mint 400 Records", Speak Into My Good Eye, retrieved 6 January 2019
- Mehalick, Mike (3 December 2016), "Exclusive Premiere: Trim Tabs Debuts The Video For "Now Back in the Stream"", Speak Into My Good Eye, retrieved 6 January 2019
- New Jersey Stage Staff (2 March 2017), "Fairmont To Hold CD Release Party For 9th Studio Album On April 7", New Jersey Stage, retrieved 6 January 2019
- Pirate! Staff (3 January 2017), "Young Legs The Petal and the Page", Pirate!, retrieved 6 January 2019
- Schneider, Elizabeth (2018), "The Big Drops, "Basket Of Love"", Impose, retrieved 6 January 2019
- Testa, Jim (2018), "Defend The Rhino - Fabricated", Jersey Beat, retrieved 7 January 2019