Adam and the Plants
Adam and the Plants
Adam and the Plants at the 2017 North Jersey Indie Rock Festival.
|Origin||Montclair, New Jersey, U.S.|
|Genres||Folk rock, power pop|
|Labels||Sniffling Indie Kids|
Adam and the Plants are an American indie rock band from New Jersey.
Adam and the Plants are a four-piece folk rock and power pop group from Montclair, New Jersey, that was formed in 2012, by singer and guitarist Adam Copeland, previously in the bands Ben Franklin, the Meltdowns and Black Water; the latter described as "irascible but big-hearted punk rock." Patch describes Adam and the Plants as "strange, funny, and heartrending [...] power-pop rock and soul," and they draw comparison to the music of the Kinks, National, the Band and Nick Cave. Copeland cites musical influence from Alex Chilton, 1970s Brian Eno, Kinoko Teikoku and Spencer Krug.
Their first album, The End of the World was self-released on compact disc and digital download, on 1 May 2015. It is described in The Jersey Journal as an "apocalyptic ten-track journey [that] features "three guitars fighting over the scraps of a rhythm" and the gentle sound of waves crashing onto the shore."
Sniffling Indie Kids
The four-track EP Born with the Gift of Magic was released with Sniffling Indie Kids on compact disc and digital download, on 27 January 2017. It was recorded in late 2015, produced by Copeland at Pearl Studios, mixed by Skylar Adler at Skylar Ross Recording, and mastered by Alan Douches at West West Side Music. A Pirate! press release notes Copeland's "dry wit and daft cynicism[,] unique voice and knowing personality." The record release show for Born with the Gift of Magic was held at Porta in Jersey City, New Jersey, on 30 January 2017 with Delicate Flowers and Desir Decir. A review by Jersey Beat says the arrangements are "dense and complex, both catchy and compelling." They note that the song "The Marquis" captures "Copeland stretch[ing] vocally to strike a spooky voodoo vibe that's accentuated by Naideck's tribal drumming and a incandescent guitar solo." The review closes with "you might say they're the kings of the florid frontier." Adam and the Plants performed at the North Jersey Indie Rock Festival, on 23 September 2017.
- The End of the World (2015)
- Born with the Gift of Magic (2017)
- Hortillosa, Summer Dawn (28 August 2015), "Adam and the Plants finds new beginnings through 'The End of the World'", The Jersey Journal, retrieved 21 March 2019
- Laurie, Gary (28 February 2014), "The Porchistas, Accidental Seabirds & Adam & The Plants Ring in the Spring at Tierneys Tavern", Patch, retrieved 21 March 2019
- Lipput, Henry (14 February 2017), "Adam and the Plants, Born With the Gift of Magic, 2017", CoolDad Music, retrieved 21 March 2019
- Makin, Bob (19 January 2017), "Makin Moves", Courier News, retrieved 21 March 2019
- McCall, Tris (3 December 2014), "Shows of the week: Freestyle Extravaganza, Porchistas and Friends, Tom Brislin", Institute for Nonprofit News, retrieved 23 March 2019
- New Jersey Racket Staff (18 November 2017), "North Jersey Indie Rock Festival: Lineup Set Times", New Jersey Racket, retrieved 28 February 2019
- Pirate! Staff (7 February 2017), "Adam and the Plants", Pirate!, retrieved 21 March 2019
- Testa, Jim (2017), "Adam & the Plants - Born with the Gift of Magic", Jersey Beat, retrieved 21 March 2019