Did you know a wiki could be used internally in your company ? For better knowledge management and internal communication. Less email and office files. 30 days free trial. (Ad)
Gatecoin was a bitcoin and ethereum token exchange based in Hong Kong. Founded in July 2013 by a former investment banker, Aurélien Menant,[unreliable source] Gatecoin became the first cryptocurrency exchange to list ethereum's native token, ether (ETH) in August 2015 and has since specialised in listing ethereum tokens associated with decentralized applications.[unreliable source?][unreliable source][non-primary source needed]
Gatecoin is the only bitcoin technology firm being incubated by the Hong Kong Science and Technology Parks Corporation,[non-primary source needed] a statutory body of the Hong Kong Government. Gatecoin is also incubated by the Tuspark business park in Nanjing.[not in citation given]
In 2016 Gatecoin experienced a cyberattack on its hot wallets that resulted in the loss of funds. An update from the exchange team indicated that as much as $2m was lost, confirming rumors that circulated soon after the hack became apparent.
Gatecoin has claimed that it lost as much as 185,000 ethers and 250 bitcoins, an amount worth roughly $2.14m at the time. The exchange further said that it believes the hack first began on 9 May, and that it continued over the following three days.
- Suberg, William (23 May 2014). "Paying by the Book: An Interview with Gatecoin's Aurélien Menant". Cointelegraph. Retrieved March 20, 2018.
- "Aurélien Menant". StartbaseHK. Retrieved 2018-03-21.
- Galt, Juan (August 5, 2015). "Ethereum Network Continues Thawing Process in Anticipation of the Start of Trading". Bitcoin Magazine. Retrieved 2017-03-22.
- Allison, Ian (2016-04-29). "DigixGlobal adds Ethereum-based DGD tokens to Hong Kong's Gatecoin and China's Yunbi exchanges". International Business Times UK. Retrieved 2017-03-22.
- "Gatecoin Launches the First Exchange with Segregated Client Bank Accounts". HKSTP News and Media. Archived from the original on 2015-04-26.
- Gatecoin LTD at Tuspark
- "Gatecoin joins the Supercharger Accelerator in Hong Kong". The Merkle.
- "Bitcoin Startup Joins Baidu-Backed FinTech Accelerator". Coindesk.
- Olsen, Robert (24 May 2016). "Hackers Steal $2 Million From Bitcoin Exchange In Hong Kong, Bounty Offered To Recover Funds". Forbes.
This article "Gatecoin" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Gatecoin. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.