Israeli violations of Lebanese airspace
The neutrality of this article is disputed. (November 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article is written like a personal reflection, personal essay, or argumentative essay that states a Wikipedia editor's personal feelings or presents an original argument about a topic. (November 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Since the 1982 Lebanese Civil War, Israel has routinely breached Lebanese airspace, waters, and borders, which is illegal since it violates Lebanon's territory and United Nations Security Council Resolution 425 and 1701.
The most frequent breaches are overflights by Israeli war planes and drones; such violations have occurred since the inception of the Israeli–Lebanese conflict, and have happened continuously and almost daily since the 2006 Lebanon war, being the source of much conflict between Lebanon and Israel. Israeli warplanes sometimes stage mock attacks on Lebanese cities, and emit sonic booms that frighten civilians.
In 2006 French Defense Minister Michele Alliot-Marie stated: "I remind that the violations of the airspace are extremely dangerous, they are dangerous first because they may be felt as hostile by forces of the coalition that could be brought to retaliate in cases of self defense and it would be a very serious incident." US officials on visit in Israel also demanded that Israel stop the overflights since they undermined the standing of Lebanese Prime Minister Fouad Siniora.
In 2007 the Lebanese government complained that Israeli planes had flown into Lebanese airspace 290 times within four months, and that Israeli troops had crossed the border 52 times.
In 2008 it was reported that 12 Israeli planes flew together over Beirut.
Since the onset of the Syrian Civil War, Israel has regularly conducted sorties from Lebanese airspace. Most recently, in September 2017 Israeli jets broke the sound barrier over Southern Lebanon, causing damage to buildings.
- "Security Council Extends Unifil Mandate for Six Months, to 31 January 2002". Unis.unvienna.org. Retrieved 14 March 2011.
- "UN Questions Usefulness of Peacekeepers - Security Council - Global Policy Forum". Globalpolicy.org. 2002-07-30. Retrieved 14 March 2011.
- ":Middle East Online ميدل ايست أونلاين:". Middle-east-online.com. 2007-11-30. Retrieved 14 March 2011.
- Associated, The (2008-04-02). "Lebanese army: 12 IAF jets fly over Beirut, Lebanese areas". Haaretz. Retrieved 14 March 2011.
- "Israeli planes create sonic boom confusion over Lebanon". BBC News. 1998-12-09. Retrieved 14 March 2011.
- Pinkas, Alon (2007-01-22). "Report: IAF jets emit sonic booms over s. Lebanon". The Jerusalem Post. Retrieved 14 March 2011.
- "France calls IAF overflights in Lebanon 'extremely dangerous'". Haaretz. 2008-04-02. Retrieved 14 March 2011.
- Benn, Aluf (2008-04-02). "U.S. officials demand IAF cease overflights in Lebanese airspace". Haaretz. Retrieved 14 March 2011.
- Ravid, Barak. "Lebanon to UN: Israel breached truce deal hundreds of times". Haaretz. Retrieved 14 March 2011.
- Press, The Associated (2008-04-28). "Lebanese Army: 12 IAF Jets Fly Over Beirut, Lebanese Areas". Haaretz. Retrieved 2017-11-26.
- Section, United Nations News Service (11 January 2010). "UN News - Lebanon: UN again protests against Israeli over-flights". UN News Service Section. Retrieved 4 August 2017.
- Section, United Nations News Service (11 October 2004). "UN News - UN envoy 'seriously concerned' over Israeli violations of Lebanese airspace". UN News Service Section. Retrieved 4 August 2017.
- "Israeli overflights 'dangerous situation' - Lebanon". Jordan Times. 2010-02-11. Retrieved 14 March 2011.
- "Israel's incessant overflights heighten Lebanon tensions". Lebanonwire.com. 26 February 2010. Archived from the original on 13 July 2011. Retrieved 14 March 2011.
- Teeple, Jim (2006-10-23). "Israel Continues Overflights of Lebanon". Globalsecurity.org. Retrieved 14 March 2011.
- "Petraeus Visit Highlights Growing Strategic Prominence of Lebanon - August 7, 2008 - The New York Sun". Nysun.com. 2008-08-07. Retrieved 14 March 2011.
- "Spotlight - Israel offered to cease overflights for US intel". The Daily Star. 2010-12-06. Retrieved 14 March 2011.
- Khoury, Jack (2013-05-03). "Ground Sources Say Israeli Air Force Conducting Flyovers in Lebanon". Haaretz. Retrieved 2017-11-26.
- "Israel's south Lebanon flyover 'a direct threat,' says Lebanese official". The Jerusalem Post | JPost.com. Retrieved 2017-11-26.
- "Israeli jets said to cause sonic boom over Lebanon". Retrieved 2017-11-26.
This article "Israeli violations of Lebanese airspace" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.