To the World
It has been suggested that this article be merged into Cruel Summer (GOOD Music album). (Discuss) Proposed since October 2019.
|"To the World"|
|Song by Kanye West and R. Kelly|
|from the album Cruel Summer|
|Released||September 14, 2012|
"To the World" is a song by American hip hop recording artists Kanye West and R. Kelly. It also features uncredited vocals from Teyana Taylor. The song was produced by Wansel, Oakwud, West, Hudson Mohawke, Ken Lewis, Mano, Travis Scott and Anthony Kilhoffer. It includes a diss directed from West towards Mitt Romney. Roscoe Dash claimed to have helped write the song via Twitter, despite his name not being on the credits. In 2012, the song charted in the United States, United Kingdom, France and Canada.
Background and composition
The track surfaced online on September 13, 2012, one day before the album's release. It includes classical strings and drums. Within the track, West quotes American rapper Rick Ross with the line: "These niggas tryna hold me back".
West takes a shot at Mitt Romney in "To the World", rapping the line: "Mitt Romney don't pay no tax, Mitt Romney don't pay no tax", which is a reference to how Romney refused to make more than two years of his tax returns public. Despite West dissing Romney, Barack Obama was actually the one from the 2012 election that had issues with West in the past, calling him a jackass on two separate occasions. The Guardian actually cited it as what may be the best line on the album.
Roscoe Dash claimed to be an uncredited writer for "To the World" during a rant by him from his Twitter account a few days after the album was released. Dash elaborated on this in an October 2012 interview with Sway Calloway by claiming to feel like there was an error along the lines of a typo that lead to him not receiving credit.
Despite never being released as a single, the song managed to chart in a total of four countries worldwide in 2012. It performed best in the United States, where it peaked at number 70 on the Billboard Hot 100 and also reached number 35 on the US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. "To the World" managed to reach the top 100 in the United Kingdom and Canada too, charting at number 94 on the UK Singles Chart and number 92 on the Canadian Hot 100 respectively. As well as this, it reached number 161 in France.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||92|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||94|
|UK R&B (Official Charts Company)||17|
|US Billboard Hot 100||70|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||35|
|US Hot Rap Songs (Billboard)||24|
- Credited as co-producer
- Credited as additional producer
- Cruel Summer (PDF digital booklet). GOOD Music. Def Jam Recordings. 2012.
- Newman, Melinda (September 13, 2012). "Listen: Kanye West and R. Kelly on 'To The World' from 'Cruel Summer'". Uproxx. Retrieved November 10, 2018.
- Millard, Drew (September 20, 2012). "A Thing or Two About Kanye West's "Cruel Summer" Album". VICE. Retrieved November 10, 2018.
- Alexis, Nadeska (September 14, 2012). "Kanye West Raps: 'Mitt Romney Don't Pay No Tax'". MTV. MTV Networks. Retrieved October 30, 2018.
- "Obama Calls Kanye West a 'Jackass'". Rolling Stone. April 12, 2012. Retrieved October 30, 2018.
- MacInnes, Paul (September 20, 2012). "Kanye West presents GOOD Music: Cruel Summer – review". The Guardian. Retrieved November 9, 2018.
- Fitzgerald, Trent (September 21, 2012). "Roscoe Dash Claims Kanye West Didn't Give Him Credit on 'Cruel Summer'". PopCrush. Retrieved December 22, 2018.
- Harling, Danielle (October 4, 2012). "Roscoe Dash Gives An Update On Receiving Proper Credit On "Cruel Summer"". HipHopDX. Retrieved December 22, 2018.
- "Kanye West To The World Chart History". Billboard. Retrieved January 9, 2019.
- "Top Hip-Hop Songs / R&B Songs Chart – October 6, 2012". Billboard. Retrieved January 9, 2019.
- "To the World | Full Official Chart History". Official Charts Company. Retrieved November 10, 2018.
- "Canadian Music: Top 100 Songs Chart – October 6, 2012". Billboard. Retrieved January 9, 2019.
- "Discographie Kanye West". lescharts.com (in French). Retrieved November 10, 2018.CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link)
- "Kanye West Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved October 30, 2018.
- "Lescharts.com – Kanye West – To The World" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved October 30, 2018.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved October 30, 2018.
- "Official R&B Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company. Retrieved October 30, 2018.
- "Kanye West Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved October 30, 2018.
- "Kanye West Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved October 30, 2018.
- "Kanye West Chart History (Hot Rap Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved October 30, 2018.
- Lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics
This article "To the World" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:To the World. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.