Who Will Survive in America
|"Who Will Survive in America"|
|Song by Kanye West|
|from the album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy|
"Who Will Survive in America" is the final track of the standard edition of American rapper Kanye West's album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. It is built on a sample of "Comment No. 1" by Gil Scott-Heron.
Composition and lyrical interpretation
The piece, featuring no vocals from West himself, serves as the album's coda and its composition is built on a sample of Gil Scott-Heron's 1970 recording "Comment No. 1", which is also sampled in fellow album track "Lost in the World" as a transition into "Who Will Survive In America". "Comment No. 1" is a blunt, surrealist piece delivered by Scott-Heron in spoken word about the African-American experience and the faded idealism of the American dream. Scott-Heron's poem, which criticized the 1960s Revolutionary Youth Movement for failing to recognize the more basic needs of the African-American community, is edited to a reduced version on the track that, according to music writer Greg Kot, "retains its essence, that of an African-American male who feels cut off from his country and culture". By contrast, Sean Fennessey interprets it as "a too-serious denouement for an album that is more about the self’s little nightmares than some aching societal rejection". West had previously sampled Scott-Heron on "My Way Home", a track from his 2005 album Late Registration.
- Denney, Alex (November 19, 2010). "Album Review: Kanye West – My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (Def Jam/Roc-A-Fella)". NME. New York. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- Powers, Ann (November 23, 2010). "Kanye West – My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy". Los Angeles. Archived from the original on November 23, 2010. Retrieved 2012-04-27. Unknown parameter
- Amidon, David (November 21, 2010). "Kanye West: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy". PopMatters. Retrieved 2019-02-25.
- Kot, Greg (November 17, 2010). "Album review: Kanye West, 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy'". Chicago Tribune. Chicago: Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- Fennessey, Sean (November 17, 2010). "Kanye West, Finally Unraveled". The Village Voice. The Village Voice. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- Late Registration (Media notes). Kanye West. Roc-A-Fella Records. 2005.
- Lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics
This article "Who Will Survive in America" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Who Will Survive in America. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.