The One (GOOD Music song)
It has been suggested that this article be merged into Cruel Summer (GOOD Music album). (Discuss) Proposed since October 2018.
|Song by Kanye West, Big Sean, 2 Chainz and Marsha Ambrosius|
|from the album Cruel Summer|
|Released||September 14, 2012|
"The One" is a song by recording artists Kanye West, Big Sean, 2 Chainz and Marsha Ambrosius from the 2012 GOOD Music album Cruel Summer. The song features additional vocals from James Fauntleroy II. It samples "Public Enemy No. 1" by Public Enemy and "Double Barrel" by Dave & Ansel Collins. West pays lyrical reference to Scott Disick.
Background and composition
One day before the album's release, the song surfaced online. "The One" contains a sample of the 1987 recording "Public Enemy No. 1" by Public Enemy and samples 1970 recording "Double Barrel" by Dave & Ansel Collins also. West references Kourtney Kardashian's then-partner Scott Disick with the line: "We on the galaxy that haters cannot visit, that's my reality so get off my Scott Disick", which his future wife and then-partner Kim Kardashian tweeted about shortly after the album's release.
Billboard viewed West's verse as being the song's highlight, writing that "Big Sean and 2 Chainz spit mediocre rhymes, while 'Ye teases with an inch of lyrical depth". On the other hand, Mic put forward Sean's verse as being the highlight of it, writing that he has "easily the best verses on "Mercy", "The One", and "Clique" (yes, over Jay-Z)".
On October 6, 2012 the track debuted at number 11 on the US Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 and never appeared on the chart again following on from this.
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles (Billboard)||11|
|US Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Singles (Billboard)||9|
|US R&B/Hip-Hop Digital Song Sales (Billboard)||18|
- Cruel Summer (PDF digital booklet). GOOD Music. Def Jam Recordings. 2012.
- Lilah, Rose (September 13, 2012). "Kanye West - The One Feat. Big Sean, 2 Chainz, Marsha Ambrosius & James Fauntleroy". HotNewHipHop. Retrieved January 28, 2019.
- "Kim Kardashian West on Twitter". Twitter. September 18, 2012. Retrieved October 31, 2018.
- Ramirez, Erika (September 18, 2012). "G.O.O.D. Music, 'Cruel Summer': Track-By-Track Review". Billboard. Retrieved July 28, 2018.
- Lord, Neddy (September 18, 2012). "Kanye West Cruel Summer Review and Sample: Mercy and Clique Mix Jay Z Royalty with 2 Chainz and the Next Generation of Rap". Mic. Retrieved July 29, 2018.
- "2 Chainz The One Chart History". Billboard. Retrieved December 15, 2018.
- "Kanye West Chart History (Bubbling Under Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved July 27, 2018.
- "Kanye West Chart History (Bubbling Under Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved December 15, 2018.
- "Kanye West Chart History (R&B/Hip-Hop Digital Song Sales)". Billboard. Retrieved February 19, 2019.
- Lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics
This article "The One (GOOD Music song)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:The One (GOOD Music song). Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.