Abhishek Clifford (born on 12 November 1966) is an English social activist who has been involved in social work in India since the year 1996. He is the CEO and co-founder of Rescue Charitable Trust which is a Non-Governmental Organization based in Mysore, Karnataka. Clifford is passionate about social and ethical issues such as Human trafficking, Female foeticide, Immoral and unhealthy sexual relationships and the spread of violent and rape pornography addiction among the youth.. He has done research on these topics which have been published in both local and national newspapers and T.V channels
Clifford was born in London, United Kingdom. He graduated from Manchester University after completing PGC in Mathematics and Statistics. He worked as a Mathematics, Ethics and Statistics high school and A-level teacher for 7 years in Hayes School before migrating to India, where he took up an Indian name ‘Abhishek’ to respect his love for the country. After several years of running an export printing business in Karnataka, he decided to start an NGO to do social work amidst youngsters against predominant social evils such as female foeticide and sexual harassment in order to sensitize the upcoming generation to promote Indian moral and traditional values among the youth. Thus, in 2011 he co-founded the Rescue Charitable Trust in collaboration with his Indian friends in Mysore
Abhishek with the Rescue team organizes moral awareness programs, press meets, marches and meetings with dignitaries and stakeholders of the State in connection with the following social issues as he believes that effectively educating the students on Cyber Ethics and Moral values is essential to the shaping of the succeeding generations of India.
Human Trafficking of Women and Minors
Abhishek and the Rescue team goes from college to college across Karnataka and other states in India spreading awareness on the increasing trend of the trafficking of women and children in India especially for sexual exploitation and pornography. He cautions young adults and girls to watch out for internet predators and fake boyfriends who could be potential traffickers and to invigilate their lifestyles so as to reduce vulnerability of being trafficked. He also deals with the roots of trafficking which is the increasing demand for using prostitutes and consumption of violent pornography.
Violent and Child pornography
India is now among the top 3 countries in porn consumption, even child pornography. This is a disturbing trend especially for a nation that has had strong cultural values. A survey conducted by Abhishek and his team in different cities of South India found that 66% undergraduate boys and 30% of undergraduate girls watch an average of 7 and 5 hours of pornographic content per week respectively. 38% boys between the age group of 16-21 years watch violent pornography and 76% of boys surveyed that watching porn gives a desire to rape. He spreads awareness about the hazardous effects of watching violent and child pornography and how it can lead to violence and abuse
Female foeticide in India is a growing issue. Even though sex determination of the unborn child under the PCPNDT Act is illegal in India, the problem is rampant in different parts of the country. This coupled with youth pregnancies and other abortions have resulted in 15.6 million unborn children being aborted in India in the year 2015. Clifford with his team have also held marches and protests against the killing of the unborn in India.
- "68% boys and 28% girls in Mangaluru colleges addicted to porn, reveals survey". Coastaldigest.com - The Trusted News Portal of India, Coastal Karnataka. 2016-03-24. Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- ingoanews (2014-07-24), 40 per cent college students in Goa watch rape porn, retrieved 2018-06-05
- rescue108india (2016-11-11), TV9 Disc 'Poshakare Yechara' Rescue Team Survey Predicts Sexual Interest Conc, retrieved 2018-06-05
- Tv9 Kannada (2016-09-17), Nanna Kathe Mind Blowing Story - Abhishek Clifford brings ‘Moral Values’ to a Campus near you, retrieved 2018-06-05
- "Sahyadri Campus Buzz". www.sahyadri.edu.in. Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- "Moral Awareness Programme - KSHEMA". Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- "India Karnataka bangalore News Photo - Abhishek Clifford, CEO, Rescue Avith Anand Raju, President, Viji, Editor Santo addressing media Karnataka Rural boys Pornography Habits Report Press Club, Bangalore Tuesday 26th February 2013 - India Bangalore Karnataka News Photo Agency for local newspaper with Press Photo Archives". www.pics4news.com. Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- "India Karnataka bangalore News Photo - Abhishek Clifford, CEO, Rescue NGO Parents addressing press conference Press Club, Bengaluru Wednesday 21st September 2016 - India Bangalore Karnataka News Photo Agency for local newspaper with Press Photo Archives". www.pics4news.com. Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- "NCRB data reveals surge in human trafficking cases | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis". dna. 2017-12-04. Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- "25,000 Children Subjected to Gang Rape Everyday in Karnataka - Abishek - Mangalorean.com". Mangalorean.com. 2016-03-09. Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- "How Porn Fuels Sex Trafficking". Fight the New Drug. 2017-08-23. Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- Westen, John-Henry (2015-01-28). "Want to Stop Sex Trafficking? Look to America's Porn Addiction". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- Smith, Linda; Vardaman, Samantha Healy (2010). "The Problem of Demand in Combating Sex Trafficking". Revue internationale de droit pénal. 81 (3): 607–624. doi:10.3917/ridp.813.0607. ISSN 0223-5404.
- "Shocking: India leads in child pornography | News Today | First with the news". www.newstodaynet.com. Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- "India now in 'Big Three' of porn consumption - The Express Tribune". The Express Tribune. 2016-01-11. Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- "The Times Group". epaperbeta.timesofindia.com. Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- "Youth getting addicted to internet porn, says NGO". @businessline. Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- "NGO survey studies tendency of students to watch porn". Deccan Herald. 2016-03-25. Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- "'Consequences of violent porn and teen porn'; survey by NGO, SahilOnline English News detail". SahilOnline English News. Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- "Watching porn could lead to rapes, reveals study". https://www.deccanchronicle.com/. 2016-03-09. Retrieved 2018-06-05. External link in
- "How Consuming Porn Can Lead to Violence". Fight the New Drug. 2017-08-23. Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- Seto, Michael C.; Cantor, James M.; Blanchard, Ray (August 2006). "Child pornography offenses are a valid diagnostic indicator of pedophilia". Journal of Abnormal Psychology. 115 (3): 610–615. doi:10.1037/0021-843X.115.3.610. ISSN 0021-843X. PMID 16866601.
- "Aborted female foetuses found in India". BBC News. 2017-03-06. Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- "National Estimate of Abortion in India Released". Guttmacher Institute. 2017-12-11. Retrieved 2018-06-05.
This article "Abhishek Clifford" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Abhishek Clifford. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.