|Official name||صلاة العصر، الصلاة الوسطى، صلاة العشي، صلاة الآصال|
|Also called||Afternoon prayer|
|Significance||A Muslim prayer offered to God at the afternoon hour of the day.|
|Date||Lua error in Module:Wikidata at line 446: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).|
|Related to||Salah, Wazifa, Five Pillars of Islam|
|Part of a series on|
The Asr prayer (Arabic: صلاة العصر ṣalāt al-ʿaṣr, "afternoon prayer") is one of the five mandatory salah (Islamic prayer). As an Islamic day starts at sunset, the Asr prayer is technically the fifth prayer of the day.[better source needed] If counted from midnight, it is the third prayer of the day.[better source needed][better source needed]
The Asr prayer consists of four obligatory rakat. An additional four rakat are recommended to be performed before the obligatory rakat. As with Zuhr prayer, if it is performed in congregation, the imam is silent except when announcing the takbir, i'tidal, and taslim.
The period of Asr prayer begins approximately when the sun is halfway down from noon to sunset (various branches of Islam differ on the starting point; some say that it begins when the shadow of an object equals its actual length plus its shadow during noon, others say that the actual length must be doubled). Zuhr prayer ends at sunset, when Maghrib prayer begins. Shia Muslims are allowed to perform Zuhr and Asr prayers one after another, so they may perform the Asr prayer before the actual period begins. Barring the Hanafi school, which forbids prayer combination, Sunni Muslims may only do this if they are traveling and incapable of performing the prayers separately. Amongst Sunnis, Salafis allow the combining of prayers for a wide range of reasons such as when various needs or difficulties arise (taking precedence from Hanbali and Shafiite schools). Some Salafis amongst Ahl-i-Hadith consider combining prayers for no reason to be permissible.
The Asr daily prayer is mentioned as the middle prayer in the Qur'an at sura 2 (Al-Baqara) and it is emphasized on the Muslims to protect this prayer meaning that it should be performed at all costs, ayat 238. al-Asr is also the title of the 103rd chapter (sura) of the Qur’ān.The Shia sect accepts this sura as the prophecy by Allah to Martyrdom of Hazrat Imam Hussain AS who embraced martyrdom while stopping his fight and going into sajda during Asr Prayer and indicates that Humans are definatly in loss ( the likes of and murderers of Imam Hussain AS ) except those who accepted true faith and observed patience (in face of atrocities) and called all to Allah's way (The Haq) as exemplified by Imam Hussain AS.
|Arab World||Arabic||صلاة العصر (Ṣalāt al-ʿAṣr)|
|Iran, Afghanistan, Tajikistan||Persian||نماز دیگر، نماز عصر|
|Pakistan, India||Urdu, Hindi||نماز عصر,
|Morocco||Tachelhit||ⵜⴰⵥⴰⵍⵍⵉⵜ ⵏ ⵜⵓⴽⵣⵉⵏ (Taẓallit n tukzin)|
|Albania, Kosovo||Albanian||Namazi i pasditës|
|Bangladesh, India||Bengali||আসর, আছর (Asor)|
|Greater Somalia||Somali||Salaada Casir|
|Malay World||Indonesian, Malaysian, Basa Sunda||Salat asar, Solat asar|
|Kazakhstan||Kazakh||Екінті намазы (Ekinti namazy)|
Ja'fari and Zaydi schools of thought
- Time begins: once the Dhuhr prayer (mid-day daily prayer) has been recited.
- Time ends: at the beginning of the setting of the Sun.
However, it is very important to recite the prayer as soon as the time begins. Letter 52 of Nahj al-Balagha contains instruction of Ali to his governors on the timings of salat, "The Asr prayers can be performed till the sun is still bright and enough time of the day is left for a person to cover a distance of six miles."
Hanafi, Hanbali, Shafi`i, and Maliki schools of thought
The time period within which the Asr prayer must be recited is the following:
- Time begins: The Sunni schools differ on when the time begins. The Maliki, Shafi`i, and Hanbali schools say it is at the time when the length of any object's shadow equals the length of the object itself plus the length of that object's shadow at noon. The dominant opinion in the Hanafi school says it begins when the length of any object's shadow is twice the length of the object plus the length of that object's shadow at noon.
- Time ends: Once the sun has completely set below the horizon. However, it is frowned upon (and sinful in the Maliki school) to delay the prayer without a legitimate excuse to the point of the day in which the sun turns a pale red or orange color as it begins to set, though it would still be considered to have been prayed on time.
In another hadith: Muhammad said 'He who misses his Asr Salat (i.e. performs it after its specified time) is as if he had lost his wife, children and all his wealth.’ (Sahih Muslim)
- Other salah:
- The Islamic date (Hijri date) starts after Maghrib – Permanent Committee, AbdurRahman website, Published 9 September 2009, Retrieved 23 May 2020
- see 'Glossary', Retrieved 12 July 2020
- Significance of Offering The Isha Prayer and Its Benefits, QuranReading website, Published 29 January 2015, Retrieved 14 May 2017
- Number of Rakaats for Prayers, MuslimConverts website, Retrieved 23 May 2020
- A-llāhu akbar
- Samiʿa-llāhu li-man ḥamidah
- As-salāmu ʿalaykum wa raḥmatu llāh
- Al-Munajjid, Shaykh Salih (1 November 2008). "The difference between joining and shortening prayers". Islam Question & Answer. Archived from the original on 9 April 2021. Unknown parameter
- Salih Al-Munajjid, Shaykh (9 December 2014). "Ruling on putting prayers together and shortening them when not travelling". Islam Question and Answer. Archived from the original on 9 April 2021. Unknown parameter
- "Combining two prayers". Islamweb.net. 16 January 2018. Archived from the original on 12 November 2020. Unknown parameter
- Nasir al-Din al-Albani, Muhammad (10 September 2014). "A resident may combine prayers to avoid difficulties – Shaykh al Albaani". Abdurrahman.org. Archived from the original on 3 February 2017. Unknown parameter
- Silmi, Shaykh Yahya. "THE WEAKNESS ABOUT THE NARRATION "COMBINING THE PRAYER WITHOUT REASON IS A MAJOR SIN" AND AN ADVICE TO BROTHER ABU KHADEEJA ABDUL WAHID". Uthman Ibn Affan Library. Archived from the original on 9 April 2021. Unknown parameter
- Hibban, Khuzaimah Ansari, Abu, Abu. "When To Combine And Shorten Prayers". Salafi Research Institute. Archived from the original on 24 November 2020. Unknown parameter
- Quran 2:238
- "Ways to pray and more about Zohar and Asr".
- If the length of an object is 'x' inches. Its shadow's length at noon will be 'y' inches. When the length of the shadow becomes x+y inches, the time for Asr will have set in according to the majority. According to the minority, the shadow must reach 2x+y inches in order for Asr to begin.
- Sahih Bukhari Hadith #574