|Born||Randy Craig Alcorn|
June 23, 1954
Portland, Oregon, United States
|🏡 Residence||Gresham, Oregon|
|🎓 Alma mater|
|🏢 Organization||Eternal Perspective Ministries|
|👩 Spouse(s)||Nanci Alcorn (m.1975)|
|👴 👵 Parent(s)||Arthur Loren Alcorn|
Lucille Vivian Tovrea
|🏅 Awards||Gold Medallion Book Award (2002)|
Randy Alcorn (born June 23, 1954) is an American Evangelical Christian author and the founder & director of Eternal Perspective Ministries, a non-profit Christian organization, founded in 1990. He is a New York Times bestselling author, who has written more than 60 books including the novels Deadline (1994), Dominion (1996), Deception (2007) and Courageous (2011). He was awarded the Gold Medallion Book Award in 2002 for his novel Safely Home (2001). Alcorn has also authored many non-fiction books, including Giving Is the Good Life (2019), Face to Face with Jesus (2018), Seeing The Unseen (2017), Happiness (2016), Hand in Hand (2014), Eternity (2013), Managing God's Money (2011), If God Is Good (2009), Heaven for Kids (2006), Heaven (2004), The Purity Principle (2003), and The Treasure Principle (2001). His works have been translated into 70 languages and have sold 10 million copies.
He completed his B.A. in Theology from Multnomah Bible College and an M.A. in Biblical Studies from Western Seminary in Portland, Oregon. He also holds an honorary doctorate of Divinity from Western Seminary.
He served as one of the founding pastors of Good Shepherd Community Church in Boring, Oregon from 1977-90.
Alcorn published his first book Christians in the Wake of the Sexual Revolution in 1985. His first book with Tyndale House Publishers, Money, Possessions, and Eternity, was published in 1989, revised in 2002. His first fiction book, Deadline, was published in 1994, and is the initial book in a three-part series. In 2001, he partnered with his daughters Karina and Angela to write The Ishbane Conspiracy.
His novel Safely Home published in 2001, was a story about the friendship between American Ben Fielding and a former fellow student, Li Quan, who is persecuted as a Christian in his home country of China.
He has contributed to several newspapers and magazines including Christian Today, Discipleship Journal, Moody, Leadership, New Man, The Christian Reader, Patheos. He has also served as adjunct faculty at Multnomah Bible College and Western Seminary.
In 1990, he founded Eternal Perspective Ministries (EPM), a non-profit organization that focuses on Biblical education. The royalties from his books all go to EPM, which gives away 90% of them to people-helping projects around the world.
In 1989, Alcorn was involved in nonviolent civil disobedience in Portland, Oregon, advocating for anti-abortion causes.
A court judgement brought against him made his wages subject to garnishment by an abortion clinic. Because he did not want to make a financial contribution to the activities of the abortion clinic, he decided to resign as a pastor and found Eternal Perspective Ministries. Until the judgement expired in 2012, at his request, Eternal Perspective Ministries paid him minimum wage, which was not subject to legal garnishment.
- 50 Days of Heaven: Reflections That Bring Eternity to Light (Tyndale House, 2006), ISBN 9781414309767 Search this book on .
- 60 Days of Happiness: Discover God’s Promise of Relentless Joy (Tyndale House, 2016), ISBN 9781496420008 Search this book on .
- 90 Days of God's Goodness: Daily Reflections That Shine Light on Personal Darkness (Multnomah Publishers, 2011), ISBN 9781601423443 Search this book on .
- Does the Birth Control Pill Cause Abortions? (Eternal Perspective Ministries, rev. ed. 2011), ISBN 9780970001603 Search this book on .
- Eternal Perspectives: A Collection of Quotations on Heaven, the New Earth, and Life After Death (Tyndale House, 2012), ISBN 9781414345574 Search this book on .
- Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Heaven (Tyndale House, 2014), ISBN 9781414399416 Search this book on .
- Face to Face with Jesus: Seeing Him as He Really Is (Harvest House, 2018), ISBN 9780736973816 Search this book on .
- God's Promise of Happiness (Tyndale House, 2015), ISBN 9781496411457 Search this book on .
- The Goodness of God: Assurances of Purpose in the Midst of Suffering (Multnomah Publishers , 2010), ISBN 978-1-60142-343-6 Search this book on .
- Grace: A Bigger View of God's Love (Harvest House, 2016), ISBN 9780736967464 Search this book on .
- The Grace and Truth Paradox (Multnomah Publishers, 2003), ISBN 9781590520659 Search this book on . Hand in Hand (Multnomah Publishers, 2014), ISBN 9781601426260 Search this book on .
- Happiness (Tyndale House, 2015), ISBN 9781414389349 Search this book on .
- Heaven (Tyndale House, 2004), ISBN 9780842379427 Search this book on .
- Heaven: Biblical Answers to Common Questions (Booklet) (Tyndale House, 2004), ISBN 9781414301914 Search this book on .
- Heaven For Kids (Tyndale House, 2006), ISBN 9781414310404 Search this book on .
- Help For Women Under Stress: Preserving Your Sanity (Eternal Perspective Ministries, 2013), ISBN 9780970001610 Search this book on . (with Nanci Alcorn)
- If God Is Good: Faith in the Midst of Suffering and Evil (Multnomah Publishers, hardcover 2009 OOP, softcover 2014), ISBN 9781601421326 Search this book on . (hc) ISBN 9781601425799 Search this book on . (pb)
- If God Is Good: Why Do We Hurt? (Multnomah Publishers , 2010) ISBN 9781601423412 Search this book on .
- In Light of Eternity: Perspectives on Heaven (WaterBrook Press, 1999), ISBN 9781578562992 Search this book on .
- The Law of Rewards (Tyndale House, 2003), ISBN 9780842381062 Search this book on .
- Life Promises for Eternity (Tyndale House, 2012, OOP), ISBN 9781414345550 Search this book on .
- Managing God's Money (Tyndale House, 2011), ISBN 9781414345536 Search this book on .
- Money, Possessions, and Eternity (Tyndale House, 1989, rev. ed. 2003), ISBN 9780842353601 Search this book on .
- Picturing Heaven: 40 Hope-Filled Devotions with Coloring Pages (Tyndale, 2017), ISBN 9781496425270 Search this book on .
- ProLife Answers to ProChoice Arguments (Multnomah, 1992), ISBN 978-0-88070-472-4 Search this book on . (2000 rev. ed., ISBN 9781576737514 Search this book on .)
- The Promise of Heaven (Harvest House, 2010, OOP), ISBN 9780736927246 Search this book on .
- The Purity Principle (Multnomah Publishers 2003), ISBN 9781590521953 Search this book on .
- The Resolution for Men (B&H Publishing, 2011), ISBN 9781433671227 Search this book on . (with Stephen and Alex Kendrick)
- Seeing The Unseen (Eternal Perspective Ministries, 2013, Hendrickson Publisher, 2017 Exp. Ed.), ISBN 9780735290792 Search this book on . (2017)
- Sexual Temptation: Establishing Guardrails and Winning The Battle (Eternal Perspective Ministries, 2011), ISBN 978-0-9700016-5-8 Search this book on .
- Tell Me About Heaven (Tyndale House, 2007), ISBN 978-1-58134-853-8 Search this book on .
- Touchpoints: Heaven (Tyndale House, 2008), ISBN 9781414323602 Search this book on .
- The Treasure Principle (Multnomah Publishers, 2001), ISBN 9781590525081 Search this book on .
- Truth: A Bigger View of God's Word (Harvest House, 2017), ISBN 9780736967471 Search this book on .
- Wait Until Then (Tyndale House, 2007, OOP), ISBN 9781414310411 Search this book on .
- We Shall See God (Tyndale House, 2011), ISBN 9781414345543 Search this book on .
- Why Pro Life? (Eternal Perspective Ministries, 2005, Hendrickson Publisher, 2012 rev. ed.), ISBN 9781598569001 Search this book on .
- Does God Want Us to Be Happy? (Tyndale House, 2019), ISBN 978-1496432575 Search this book on .
- Giving Is the Good Life (Tyndale House, 2019), ISBN 978-1496425935 Search this book on .
- Are You Living the Good Life? (Booklet) (Tyndale House, 2019), ISBN 978-1496443762 Search this book on .
- The Apostle (Graphic Novel) (Kingstone Publishing, 2015), ISBN 9781613281710 Search this book on .
- The Chasm: A Journey to the Edge of Life (Multnomah Publishers, 2011), ISBN 9781601423399 Search this book on .
- Courageous (Tyndale House, 2011), ISBN 9781414358468 Search this book on . (based on the screenplay by Alex Kendrick & Stephen Kendrick)
- Deadline (Multnomah Publishers, 1994), ISBN 9781590525920 Search this book on .
- Dominion (Multnomah Publishers, 1996), ISBN 9781590525937 Search this book on .
- Deception (Multnomah Publishers, 2007), ISBN 9781601420992 Search this book on .
- Edge of Eternity (WaterBrook Press, 1998), ISBN 9781578562954 Search this book on .
- Eternity (Graphic Novel) (Kingstone Publishers, 2013), ISBN 9781936164257 Search this book on .
- The Ishbane Conspiracy (Multnomah Publishers, 2001), ISBN 9781576738177 Search this book on . (with Angela Alcorn and Karina Alcorn)
- Lord Foulgrin's Letters (Multnomah Publishers, 2000), ISBN 978-1-57673-679-1 Search this book on . (2001 revised edition, ISBN 9781576738610 Search this book on .)
- Safely Home (Tyndale House 2011, rev. ed.), ISBN 9781414348551 Search this book on .
Awards and recognition
- His novel Safely Home (2001) was named a Gold Medallion Book Award winner by the Evangelical Christian Publishers Association (ECPA) in 2002.
- His book Heaven (2004) was the New York Times Best Seller.
- In 2005, his book, The Treasure Principle (2001) was awarded the "Gold Book Award" for sales of over 500,000 copies and also received the "Platinum Book Award" in 2008 after sales of one million copies by the Evangelical Christian Publishers Association.
- He received the 2012 Audie Award for his novel Courageous (2011).
- One of his books, Heaven was awarded the "Golden Book Award" in 2008. In 2014, It received the "Platinum Book Award" for sales of one million copies by the Evangelical Christian Publishers Association.
|Year||Book's Name||Award & Category||Result||ref.|
|2002||Safely Home||Gold Medallion Book Award - Fiction||Won|||
|2003||Safely Home||Jordon Book of the Year Award - Christian||Finalist|||
|2007||Heaven for Kids||Christian Book Award - Children & Youth||Finalist|||
|2007||Heaven for Kids||Christian Retailing's Best - Children's Nonfiction||Finalist|||
|2008||Wait until Then||Christian Book Award - Children & Youth||Finalist|||
|2012||Courageous||Audie Award - Inspirational/Fiction||Won|||
|2012||Courageous||Christian Retailing's Best - General Fiction||Won|||
He is married to Nanci and has two daughters, named Angela and Karina. He currently lives in Gresham, Oregon.
- Cosner, Lita (April 2012). "An eternal perspective on creation". Creation. Creation Ministries International. 34 (2): 40–43.
- Nancy M. Tischler (2009). Encyclopedia of Contemporary Christian Fiction: From C.S. Lewis to Left Behind. ABC-CLIO. pp. 1–4. ISBN 9780313345685. Search this book on
- Zaimov, Stoyan (June 22, 2018). "Best-Seller 'Jesus Calling' Is Built on Falsehood, Says Christian Author Randy Alcorn". The Christian Post.
- Tim Challies (May 11, 2014). "The Bestsellers: The Treasure Principle". Challies.com.
- Zaimov, Stoyan (August 6, 2018). "Randy Alcorn Reveals He Met Privately With 'The Shack' Author Over Christian Doctrinal Concerns". The Christian Post.
- Zaimov, Stoyan (August 29, 2018). "Randy Alcorn on Evangelical Sex Scandals: Bad Pastors Just Reappear at New Churches, Repeat Sins". The Christian Post.
- Knight, Robert (February 20, 2019). "God's Financial Advice: The Bible Makes It Clear that All Things Belong to God". Christian Broadcasting Network.
- Romano, Jason (May 21, 2018). "NEW PODCAST: Randy Alcorn, New York Times Bestselling Author". 21.com.
- "Why author Randy Alcorn joined one of today's fiercest Christian debates". Religion News Service. November 11, 2014.
- Noske, Lauren Leigh (Mar 17, 2015). "Randy Alcorn on Biblical View of Heaven: Will We Play Sports? What Age Will We Be?". The Gospel Herald.
- Chismar, Janet (September 5, 2001). "Olympics Could Spotlight Persecution of Christians in China". Christian Headlines.
- "Book Royalties Allow Some Preachers To Live Like Kings". Baptist Messenger. November 30, 2009.
- "Eternal Perspective Ministries/ Randy Alcorn". Ministry Watch.
- Leonard, Rusty (November 20, 2009). "Base royalties" (December 5, 2009). World.
- Stafford, Tim (April 1, 2003). "The Pastor without a Paycheck". Christianity Today.
- "Randy Alcorn: 'The Treasure Principle'". Christian Broadcasting Network.
- Renee Christine Romano; Leigh Raiford (2006). The Civil Rights Movement in American Memory. University of Georgia Press. pp. 357–358. ISBN 9780820325385. Search this book on
- Craig von Buseck, D.Min. "I Thought Abortion Was Still Legal". Christian Broadcasting Network.
- "An $8.2 Million Judgment, Over $8.2 Million in Royalties Given Away, and God’s Sovereign Grace in Your Life and Mine", Randy Alcorn, July 1, 2019
- Gustofson, Wendy (May 22, 2013). "Kingstone Comics in Graphic Novels For 'Eternity'- By Best-Seller Randy Alcorn". Religion News Service.
- "Gold / Platinum / Diamond Book Awards Winners". christianbookexpo.com.
- Burkey, Mary (June 6, 2012). "#JIAM2012 Audies Awards announced". BookListReader.com. BookList Publications, a division of the ALA.
- "Award Winning Books by Randy C. Alcorn". FictionDB. Retrieved June 6, 2019.
- Hemingway, Mollie Ziegler (May 7, 2010). "Pass the Plate and Grow Rich in Spirit". The Wall Street Journal.
- Rebecca Van Noord; Jessi Strong; John D. Barry (2015). Speak the Word: 12 Christian Leaders on Communicating the Truth. Lexham Press. ISBN 9781577995982. Search this book on
- Mort, John. Review of Deadline. Booklist (December 15, 1994): 737. Mort, John. Christian Fiction: A Guide to the Genre. Greenwood Village, CO: Libraries Unlimited, 2002.
- "Randy Alcorn." Contemporary Authors Online. Detroit: Thomson Gale, 2007.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Randy Alcorn|
- Official website
- Randy Alcorn: God Wants You to Find Your Happy Place at Christianity Today
- Be Happy: An Interview with Randy Alcorn at BibleGateway.com
- An Eternal Perspective: An Interview with Randy Alcorn at Ligonier Ministries
- Randy Alcorn on Suffering and Evil at The Gospel Coalition
- Q&A: Randy Alcorn discusses biblical stewardship at The Chimes (newspaper)
This article "Randy Alcorn" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Randy Alcorn. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.