List of international cricket centuries at Carisbrook
Carisbrook was a sports stadium in the New Zealand city of Dunedin. The stadium was used for international cricket matches between 1955 and 2004 after which the Otago Cricket Association moved to the University of Otago Oval, a ground which has since been used for international cricket. It was one of the venues for the 1992 Cricket World Cup and hosted both men's and women's international matches. The ground was the venue for 10 men's Test matches and two women's Tests as well as 21 men's and one women's One Day International (ODI) matches.[lower-alpha 1]
In cricket a century is scored when an individual batter scores at least 100 runs in an innings. This is considered a notable achievement. West Indian Everton Weekes became the first batsman to score a Test century at Carisbrook when he made 123 runs against New Zealand in 1956. Bryan Young's score of 267 not out, made against Sri Lanka in 1997, is the highest international score made on the ground. Only two players made a double century at the ground. A total of 10 centuries were scored in men's Test matches on the ground and two in women's matches.
Five centuries were scored in One Day Internationals on the ground, the first by West Indian Viv Richards who scored 119 from 113 deliveries against New Zealand in 1987. The highest score achieved on the ground in an ODI was the 122 not out made by Nathan Astle against England in 2002. Astle is the only player to score more than one century on the ground.
|Score||The number of runs scored by the batter. A * after the score shows that the batter was not out|
|Balls||The number of balls the batter faced in their innings.|
|Date||Day the Test started or ODI was held|
|Inn||Innings in which the century was made|
|Result||Result of the match|
A total of 12 centuries were scored in Test matches on the ground, ten in men's Tests and two in women's Test matches.
|1||Everton Weekes||123||–[lower-alpha 2]||3 February 1956||West Indies||New Zealand||2||West Indies won|
|2||Graham Dowling||143||–[lower-alpha 2]||15 February 1968||New Zealand||India||1||India won|
|3||Mushtaq Mohammad[upper-alpha 1]||201||–[lower-alpha 2]||7 February 1973||Pakistan||New Zealand||1||Pakistan won|
|4||Asif Iqbal[upper-alpha 1]||175||–[lower-alpha 2]||7 February 1973||Pakistan||New Zealand||2||Pakistan won|
|5||Desmond Haynes||105||323||8 February 1980||West Indies||New Zealand||3||New Zealand won|
|6||Jeremy Coney||111*||243||9 February 1985||New Zealand||Pakistan||4||Drawn|
|7||Asanka Gurusinha[upper-alpha 2]||127||429||18 March 1995||Sri Lanka||New Zealand||3||Drawn|
|8||Hashan Tillakaratne[upper-alpha 2]||108||258||18 March 1995||Sri Lanka||New Zealand||3||Drawn|
|9||Bryan Young[upper-alpha 3]||267*||522||7 March 1997||New Zealand||Sri Lanka||1||New Zealand won|
|10||Romesh Kaluwitharana[upper-alpha 3]||103||103||7 March 1997||Sri Lanka||New Zealand||3||New Zealand won|
|1||Shanta Rangaswamy[upper-alpha 4]||123||–[lower-alpha 2]||8 January 1977||India||New Zealand||2||Drawn|
|2||Barb Bevege[upper-alpha 4]||100*||–[lower-alpha 2]||8 January 1977||New Zealand||India||3||Drawn|
One Day International matches
Five centuries were scored in ODIs on the ground.
|1||Vivian Richards||119||113||18 March 1987||West Indies||New Zealand||1||West Indies won|
|2||Martin Crowe||104||135||1 March 1990||New Zealand||India||1||New Zealand won|
|3||Jacques Kallis||100||117||14 February 1999||South Africa||New Zealand||1||New Zealand won|
|4||Nathan Astle[upper-alpha 5]||119||116||28 February 2001||New Zealand||Pakistan||2||New Zealand won|
|5||Nathan Astle[upper-alpha 6]||122*||150||26 February 2002||New Zealand||England||2||New Zealand won|
- Two men's Test matches and one ODI scheduled for the ground were abandoned without a ball being bowled and are not included in the count of matches on the ground.
- The number of balls the batter faced is not recorded for this innings.
- Mushtaq and Asif made their centuries in the same innings. Mushtaq's was the first double century scored on the ground and Mushtaq's only double century made in international matches.
- Gurusinha and Tillakaratne scored their centuries during the same innings.
- Young and Kuluwitharana scored their centuries in the same match; Kaluwitharana scored his in Sri Lanka's second innings after they had been asked to follow on. Young's score is the highest made in international cricket on the ground and his only international double century.
- Rangaswamy and Bevege scored their centuries in the same match. It was Rangaswamy's only century in international cricket and Bevege's only Test century.
- Astle's innings was part of a new record partnership for any wicket in ODIs for New Zealand. He opened the batting with Stephen Fleming, the pair making 193 runs for the first wicket.
- Astle's second century on the ground set a new highest score in ODIs on the ground. He is the only player to score more than one century on the ground. The innings was Astle's highest ODI score at the time and saw him pass 5,000 ODI runs, the highest scored by a New Zealander at the time.
- Rundell M (2006) The Wisden Dictionary of Cricket. London: A & C Black. ISBN 0-7136-7915-8 Search this book on .
- Pervez MA (2001) A Dictionary of Cricket, p.15. Hyderabad: Sangam Books (India). ISBN 978-81-7370-184-9 Search this book on .
- 1st Test, West Indies tour of New Zealand at Dunedin, Feb 3-6 1956, CricInfo. Retrieved 2019-12-28.
- 1st Test, India tour of New Zealand at Dunedin, Feb 15-20 1968, CricInfo. Retrieved 2019-12-28.
- 2nd Test, Pakistan tour of New Zealand at Dunedin, Feb 7-10 1973, CricInfo. Retrieved 2019-12-28.
- 1st Test, West Indies tour of New Zealand at Dunedin, Feb 8-13 1980, CricInfo. Retrieved 2019-12-28.
- 3rd Test, Pakistan tour of New Zealand at Dunedin, Feb 9-14 1985, CricInfo. Retrieved 2019-12-28.
- 2nd Test, Sri Lanka tour of New Zealand at Dunedin, Mar 18-22 1995, CricInfo. Retrieved 2019-12-28.
- 1st Test, Sri Lanka tour of New Zealand at Dunedin, Mar 7-10 1997, CricInfo. Retrieved 2019-12-28.
- Shanta Rangaswamy, CricInfo. Retrieved 2019-12-28.
- Barb Bevege, CricInfo. Retrieved 2019-12-28.
- Only Test, India Women tour of New Zealand at Dunedin, Jan 8-11 1977, CricInfo. Retrieved 2019-12-28.
- 1st ODI, West Indies tour of New Zealand at Dunedin, Mar 18 1987, CricInfo. Retrieved 2019-12-28.
- 1st Match, Rothmans Cup Triangular Series at Dunedin, Mar 1 1990, CricInfo. Retrieved 2019-12-28.
- 1st ODI (D/N), South Africa tour of New Zealand at Dunedin, Feb 14 1999, CricInfo. Retrieved 2019-12-28.
- McConnell L (2001) Astle and Fleming set up fine win for New Zealand to clinch series, CricInfo, 2001-02-28. Retrieved 2019-12-28.
- 5th ODI (D/N), Pakistan tour of New Zealand at Dunedin, Feb 28 2001, CricInfo. Retrieved 2019-12-28.
- McConnell L (2002) In the end individual class was the difference as New Zealand won, CricInfo, 2002-02-26. Retrieved 2019-12-28.
- 5th ODI (D/N), England tour of New Zealand at Dunedin, Feb 26 2002, CricInfo. Retrieved 2019-12-28.
- International centuries at Carisbrook, CricInfo
This article "List of international cricket centuries at Carisbrook" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:List of international cricket centuries at Carisbrook. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.